Question on power amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by grantG, Mar 1, 2005.

1. grantG

grantG Agent

I have been looking at several used power amps, one is a Kenwood 125x6, another Adcom 3x100, 2x60 and the other Rotel 5x100.

Utilizing a Marantz 7400 as a pre/pro, would there be any "noticeble" difference between the 125 watts vs 100 watts?

Also, would any of these amps be "brighter" than the other. I am looking to avoid adding any brightness to the sound.

Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

When listening at true reference levels, there is benefit of 25 extra real watts. Kenwood watts are typically not near as real as say Rotel, the Rotel would kick it's butt hands down I can assure you.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You have to double the power, say from 100W to 200W, to only get an increase in 3 dB sound level. 25W in the real world is *not* a big difference. But I would agree, Rotel and Adcom "watts" are probably more genuine than Kenwood "watts". (Kenwood just isn't known for their power amps, and their receivers usually have problems delivering their full rated power to all channels simultaneously.)

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Let me suggest that you try a Pro-amp. Twice the power of audiophile amps and half the price.
    I'm currently using Aragons and Lell's in a 5.1 setup with a newly aquired Crown CE-1000 driving a passive sub.
    If I had an extra set of the propriatary Speakons I'd try this myself.
    Aside from a little fan noise, I can't envision any other drawbacks going with a pro-amp. The fan is not distracting and is seldom noticed and even if it is ,it's so slight to the point of being negligible.
    This is an inexpensive way to power those difficult speakers or supply abundant power to those who don't. Consider.

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The only problem with doing an entire hometheater with pro-amps might be finding enough outlets on different breakers to run your rig. Most pro-amps will draw 10 amps from the wall if it needs it and maybe thru some of the harder action scenes it might be needed.

6. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

Grant,
    If you are in the market for used amps, don't overlook B&K amps. They are excellent amps and can be purchased used at many different on-line locatons.

7. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

I bought a used Acurus amp (3x 100 W) and will not need anything better in the foreseeable future.
    In general: Forget Watt numbers, they do not mean much, more important is the ability to deliver as much current to the speakers as it needs, especially under difficult conditions (low impedence). Rotel is much better in this respect than Kenwood. Also good are NAD amps. The acurus simply does not seem to have any limitations in this respect, it seems to have bottomless reserves. at least my impression.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Acurus amps were known for their current delivery capability. I saw a review once of the 200x3. It actually delivered something like 315W into 8 ohms, and 515W into 4 ohms, all channels driven. Ruler flat freq response, low distortion, etc. Also goes to show that specs aren't everything, and that a lot of amp-makers really truly conservatively rate their gear.

9. Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr Stunt Coordinator

I would stay away from the Kenwood Amps. I'm sure they have an attractive price, but unless they have changed your other perspective brands will kill the Kenwood. If they still use the same rating they are rated at 6 ohms not 8, so beware.

10. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

You might also want to check out some Brystons. If the new ones are too expensive then try to get an ST instead of an SST. I have the 4b and 5b ST models. They too put out more then they are rated to do. The 5b puts out 150 watts vs 120 and the 4b puts out 300 vs 250. I have had them for a number of years and the have been very good.