What's new

Question on Pioneer and sub setup.... (1 Viewer)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I was at a local mom and pop store a couple of days ago and they had an excellent price on a new VSX-54TX so I bought one. Got it setup and it sounded great for movies but on stereo it wasn't sending a signal to the sub. I had to set the front speakers to "large" and then set the sub to "plus" for it to send a signal. Is there anyway to send the sub a signal on stereo with the front speakers set to small? I'm running Def Tech towers but I would still like them set to small if possible. Thanks.:) Now, what to do with my Denon 2803:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not even in all channel stereo???? I would of thought for sure, it would send signal in that mode and set to small.

usually there are a couple of different flavors of "Stereo" these days...

Pure direct will sometimes send it still and on other AVR's not send it.

Stereo usually sends it, rarely have I seen it not send it.

All channel stereo always sends it in my experiences.

James Phung

Second Unit
Did you have them set to small originally (you didn't say). Set them to small and set your crossover to 80 and see if you notice anything. Make sure your sub is set to on in the receiver.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I originally had them all set to small but didn't pay attention to it(although I remember thinking there was something missing/weak bass). Then I did the auto setup with the little microphone and it set the fronts to large so I just kept it that way. First I had the crossover set to 50 and bumped it up to 80 to see if that would work but it didn't. I was messing with all this at about 3am this morning so was a little out of it. If I rememer right I had them at small for a period of time but still got no sub signal. I will go verify that when the g/f wakes up.:b As for as 7ch. stereo, I never use it. I will try messing with that too. Thanks

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I was at first but changed it to stereo. I thought maybe I connected the sub wrong but it comes on fine for movies. Just not for stereo if sub is set to "yes".

James Phung

Second Unit
MCACC tends to set all speakers to large. Run it again, set them to small, and make sure sub is set to yes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For movies, you may be hearing the LFE channel. There is no LFE track with stereo music, so if you have a direct mode on, your sub won't get any info. You have to be careful too, as "direct" modes will often ignore your speaker settings completely and set everything to large, though with a DD/DTS track you may not notice it right away because all the channels will still be present.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
The following is just for stereo setting:
Ok, I figured it out. When I first set up the receiver I had everything to "small" and sub "yes". With that setup you get a signal to the sub. When I did the auto set up with the little microphone the receiver set the fronts to "large" and sub "yes". With that setting it is not sending a signal to the sub for stereo but it is for movies. When the fronts are "large" and sub "plus", I get a signal for the sub. I toggled back and forth between the "small/yes" setting and "large/plus" setting and the "large/plus" sounds very good to me. Thanks for all of the help guys. I'll have to see if the "large/plus" setting is movie friendly now.

James Phung

Second Unit
You seem to be getting it.

When you set speakers to large, what you're telling the receiver to do is send all frequencies (including low ones) to that speaker. When you set a speaker to small, it will send all frequencies above the crossover (set in the receiver, ie. 50, 80, etc) to that speaker. With the speaker set to small, all the frequencies below the crossover will be sent to the "large" speakers (if you have some set) or else it will go to the sub (if on yes).

If you have a speakers set to large and sub is yes, it will only send the frequencies below the crossover to the large speakers. Setting sub to plus will send the frequencies below the crossover to both the large speakers and sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks