What's new

question on phasing issues with xovers (1 Viewer)

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
no,not getting moved at all. thatnks for the links.
what i want ed to figure out is how the bookshelves reviews ive read deal with phasing issues becoause the speaker [woofer] was not in phase with the tweeter and it sounded wierd. but many of the 2-ways ive read about had this, or so I thought it was reiterated to me in that waw.

i assumed this all had to do with wiring and phasing issues when making a n xover. my bad. im stupid. thatts why sthsis site exists right?. so in the end a 3 way speaker with 3 amps is the same as a 3 way speaker with one amp.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you wanted to drive each driver in a speaker with a separate amp for each driver (with the necessary crossover in between amp and driver to maintain proper bandwidth of operation for each driver), you certainly can do it, but you just need to ratchet down your expectations of the benefits in doing so.

Depending on the topology of the crossover (and its order of slope) in simple 2-way speakers, if the drivers are connected out of phase, it can produce a pronounced dip in the crossover frequency region, which would make the speaker sound like it was lacking in the midrange region. This happens with a properly designed 4th order crossover design (it's called a 4th order L-R, where L-R = Linkwitz - Riley, the guys who came up with this crossover filter design).

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
thanks patrick. I know i am a new newbie at all this.

I would like to make a suggestion. ive read some on the DIY forum and many ppl who want to get into it seem to feel intimidated by the guys who come here alot. meaning, ive read some "omg how can you ask such a stupid question" type of responses. is there any way to break the DIY section into 2 or 3 parts? newbies:moderate:advanced? in this way the new guys can know they will get a 1st grade answer instead of a DIY graduate answer. as far as this thread goes, it would have helped you all know I didnt know what I was talking about and would have helped me understand faster. like I want to ask why someone would come up with a 4th order LR xover if as you say it creates a dip in the FR.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It only creates a dip if you reverse the polarity of one of the drivers. Otherwise, it sums to a nice flat response when designed properly.

For a 4th order L-R, a nice sharp dip (when one driver's polarity is reversed) actually helps in letting the designer know the integration of the 2 drivers will be good in terms of the overall phase/delay of the speaker through the crossover region.

As far was the different levels, I'm not sure if we have the demand for it. Sometimes it's best to look around, read, and learn, grasp the terminology, and then ask the questions. Do utilize the search function when possible, and read through old threads which can contain good information.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Adding a little to what Patrick said, most of the time it’s best to post basic questions in the Basics Area. Granted, yours were probably a little advanced for that, but either way (Basics or this Forum) all you have to do is let people know what the situation is and they’ll be kind to you. :) Usually this is best done right up front in the thread title, e.g., “Newbie has a few questions about crossovers.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
but my questions were random at least about many issues I had with speakers. as you have guessed,I dont know much. especially the ppl who just want to create DIY subs. I had ?'s here about subs and I was linked to IB subs which I seem to be misunderstanding. but when I ask questions, Im responded to like i an idiot. yes they have patience for me but it would help if answers came with explinations knowing that we are newbiew and dont know the difference between polarity and phase, ohms and impedence, etc...

if I had started a thread saying "newbie with random speaker design "'s" I would have gotten 3 looks, or so it seems.

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
My point is that there is no place to learn DIY stuff here, either you know it and are into it, or you are ignored. I want a little spot for those ignored.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Sam, I'm somewhat of a newbie too. The internet is on your side. Try doing a google search for things such as "3-way or multi-way crossover design" and you will find some good info. Here is a link to a site I discovered through a search of my own and found it very helpful. Link

Go to the tech topics section there you will find many of your crossover answers. I have also found it helpful to read and re-read some of the stuff to make sure you are understanding how they are explaining things. Good luck, and don't get too frustrated. Some of this stuff can be overwhelming at first.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sam, this spot is the “DIY and Advanced Projects” Area. The name itself says right up front that it really isn’t the place for newbies, and the posting information on the main menu page strongly confirms this.

For instance, nothing you’ve posted so far on this thread indicates that you are even working on a project, or even have one planned, so the questions shouldn’t have been asked here to begin with.

There is no shortage of places on HTF to get any information you need, you just have to ask in the right place. For instance, the information you wanted on crossovers and speaker designs could have been asked and answered on the Speakers and Subwoofers Forum.

As far as I can see, everyone has been pretty nice in their responses on this thread. If you’ve been mistreated previously, perhaps you send me a PM with a link to the thread it happened on.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
wayne, thanks for the reply. its hard to ask Q's in the speakers and sub area because you get attacked by many ppl who will throw out brand names with no consideration for the question at hand. i appreciate all the time and effort ppl have made to answer my posts. I just wish there was a newbie DIY section for those JUST making subs or JUST want to dosurrounds. Making the jump from Bose Busters and Tube subs to 4 order BWLR dipole with radiating ribbon etc. is a huge jump. just trying to find seperation.

you are right wayne, I have no project, but it doesnt srtop me from being curious. Im still trying to figure IB subs at the moment which is how these other questions came up.

just wanted to try to clear myself up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks