1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Pan & Scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CalvinC, Sep 30, 2002.

1. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

I just recently bought a Panasonic DVD-CP67 and it has a feature (if I understand correctly) that will automatically take a wide screen and zoom it to fit your 4:3 tv. I haven't checked this out (have no desire to see P&S) but if this is true why is there a need to make P&S DVD's when the player can do this for you? If I misunderstood this function please excuse my ignorance.

By the way thanks to all of you and this site for converting me to OAR! This is a great site. There is still a lot for me to learn! But with this site I'm well on my way!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Calvin, because it looks terrible, and is even worse than Pan & Scan since it basically center zooms the image

Most J6P DO zoom their widescreen DVDs

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

My uncle doesn't have this zoom feature on his DVD player, but he does have a 4:3 TV. His 'solution' is that he sets his player in 16:9 mode (he basically 'tells' his player it's connected to a WS TV), and anamorphic DVD's will fill his screen (more) - and no, he doesn't mind that the image is stretched. [​IMG]

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Haha...a friend of mine's parents did the same thing. We came back from a movie once, and they were watching American Beauty that way. Needless to say, my friend and I started cracking up. [​IMG]

5. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I know some people who set up their player to 16x9. I tried to watch a movie on there like that, but I couldn't take it, so I turned it back. If someone I know is at my house and wants to complain about the black bars, I tell them to watch the movie not the bars. I wish more J6Ps knew about the zoom. [​IMG]

6. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I know what you mean Tony. I can't believe some people are so bored with movies that they can't take their eyes off those black bars. Me, I don't even see the bars unless I intentionally LOOK at them.

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Brenton [​IMG], same here. I see them as banner ads. I never look at them. In fact, I used that on some people I know who hated widescreen. I told them, "They are just like banner ads, you will get used to them."
    D'oh! Sorry. :b

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

It's Brenton
    [​IMG]

9. SimonI

SimonI Extra

Hey, Brenton [​IMG] - I like your TV of the future! Where can I get one (the future...?).
    I think the P&S option in the player is a good idea but almost no disks support this option. After all, if J6P doesn't care enough about the film to be worried about losing half of it, he also shouldn't be bothered by the poorer picture quality. Like seamless branching, this is a great idea that no one seems to implement.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    On my player, a Toshiba 3108, it is called 4x3 letterbox. What the feature is is pan&scan on the fly. It never really took off, I think because of dollars. Basically, a DVD would only have a widescreen version of a title but would also contain some code that tells your DVD player where to scan that widescreen image to obtain the pan&scan version. The code would require less space than a separate pan&scan version would. There have been a couple of titles that actually used this.

Try doing a search on pan&scan-on-the-fly and it should pull up a whole lot more info on this.

11. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Also the zoom feature does not take into account Super35 (where you would gain picture on the top and bottom), reframing/centering of shots, or the actual panning and scanning.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  13. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

My old Panasonic RV65 player had the Pan & Scan option. I didn't even know it was on until I watched Snatch.
    Apparently this player would play Widescreen as long as that was the only format on the disc. But Snatch was the first movie I got with the Widescreen and Pan & Scan on it, so it kept going to Pan & Scan no matter what I picked as my viewing pleasure on the disc menu. This was the first thing that made me delve into the control menu. (which wasn't very far away from the purchase date since I bought a DVD player just because of Snatch).

The 4:3 P&S option is just like the 4:3 letterbox option on my player. It won't make change the movies format one way or the other, it just lets my player know what I want to watch when I have an option on a disc.

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Sorry about that BRENTON.
    SimonI, I agree with you. J6P doesn't care about picture, just like they don't care about sound. Picture won't make a difference to them on their little TV. As far as the future of pan and scam goes, I think there will be 3 versions of DVDs eventually. OAR Widescreen, Widescreen (a pan and scan transfer of something greater than 1.78:1, formatted to fit 1.78:1 TVs), and pan and scan (to fit 1.33:1 TVs). Just imagine what will happen if my ideas are true. [​IMG]

15. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

A friend of mine had his player set to 16x9 for a couple years. I fixed it for him but he wanted to know how to change it back because he didn't like the black bars on the Godfather. I, of course didn't tell him how. He didn't notice that the image was stretched. Strange guy, my friend.

16. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Unfortunately the DeLorean can only reach 1.85:1 universes

18. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

haha

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I bought my parents a dvd player for Christmas last year with the zoom feature and told them, and I wasn't joking either, that if I ever caught them using that feaure they would then be denied access to my almost 300 dvd collection to watch.

They've never used the zoom feature.