1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Out Of Focus on Panavision movies.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I know that the way to tell the difference between Super 35 and Panavision is when there are out of focus lights, they are not round in Panavision. I mentionned this to my father who's a semi-professionnal photograher and he (as well as I) don't understand why it causes that side-effect. Is there any reason why it does that?

Maybe some directors choose Super 35 to avoid this "Artifact"...

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Bump. No one knows this?

3. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

My guess would be that it has to do with the use of the anamorphic lens, which horizontally squeezes the filmed image onto a standard 35mm film frame. The out of focus lights being oval-shaped is just the result of using that type of lens. I wouldn't know the actual scientific reason. The refraction of the light or something?

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Extremely non-technical explanation:

Anamorphic lenses compress the image horizontally, but the points of light that result in lens flares can't be compressed any more than they already are, so the flares show up perfectly round on the film. When projected "unsqueezed," the circles are stretched out into ovals.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

It is not just lights though. Everything stretches and tightens horizontally during zooms, it is especially easy to notice when the focus shifts. It is just easier to notice the lights, because they are oval instead of round, so you don't need to wait for a change in focus to confirm it visually.
    I've always wondered though, is it correct to say the anamorphic lens squeezes the image on film? I thought it was curved, so it exposed the entire film image using all it's height, thus stretching it from 2.35:1 to 1.33:1, but during projection the entire 1.33:1 frame is projected using a lense that squeezes it onto the screen. The reason for this being that it will use the entire frame available (except whatever is reserved for sound at least) and therefore increase resolution? Am I entirely wrong? I don't expect a real technical explanation since I suppose I won't understand it anyway...