What's new

Question on ohms (1 Viewer)

Marc Grennan

Auditioning
I am fairly new to everyone, and I came across a fairly cheap Sony receiver and had a question about it, so here I am.

It's the STR-DH740 and it says " 7.2-channel, 1015W (145W x 7 @ 6 ohms " which is fine and dandy but the speakers I am looking at are 8 ohms. Will the receiver be able to run them or do I need to look for either new speakers/receiver?

Thanks in advance..

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As long as the receiver/amp can handle *less* than what the speakers are rated at, everything is good. So the receiver can handle 6 ohms, yours are 8 - you're good. Even when the "equation" comes out bad there's some give, as long as you don't crank the amp. The worst case is when the receiver is rated for 8 ohms and the speakers are rated at 4.

By the way, the spec page says is has 4 ohm switching, but I don't see that in the manual. Not that you asked, but I'm also not a fan of Sony receivers; you can probably do better for $300. (Not that this one is a terrible choice.)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Marc Grennan said:
I am fairly new to everyone, and I came across a fairly cheap Sony receiver and had a question about it, so here I am.

It's the STR-DH740 and it says " 7.2-channel, 1015W (145W x 7 @ 6 ohms " which is fine and dandy but the speakers I am looking at are 8 ohms. Will the receiver be able to run them or do I need to look for either new speakers/receiver?

Thanks in advance..
Don't fall for the marketing BS, they have inflated the wattage numbers there and that's why they say at 6 Ohms as they can put that higher number, it's also probably with 2 channels driven and not all 7, to answer your question though, it will work fine with your speakers.

You can buy it from Amazon with some freebies thrown in at the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH740-Channel-Receiver-Protector/dp/B00CIYHQ08/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370603907&sr=8-4&keywords=STR-DH740

Marc Grennan

Auditioning
I appreciate both of your responses! I was looking through some of the other posts and found the Denon AVR1613 and I know that Denon makes some solid receivers. So I think that I am just going to go with that one.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I was looking at the Klipsch KB-15's but now I have been checking out the Yamaha NS-333's since they're 6 ohms
It doesn't make any sense to buy speakers based on their ohm spec unless you have a receiver that won't play that low. In this case the Klipsch's are 8 ohms, and are therefore MORE flexible for use with other receivers. It's best to audition and purchase based on sound preference, my next choice would be looks; but all else being equal buy the higher ohm speaker.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Marc Grennan said:
Alright I take it that 8 ohms is the standard?
For speakers and if going for 8 Ohm then look for a high sensitivity rating, look at the tech specs, something like 88db or higher as just one example as this means the speaker will be easier to drive than one rated at 84db, Ohm ratings never tell the whole story, speakers will often drop, for a small time, all the way down to 2 or even 1 Ohm at some point and some of the frequency range, the majority of well made AV receivers handle this just fine, nothing wrong with getting a good 6 Ohm speaker, my surrounds are 6 Ohm rated and work great with my Yamaha AV Receiver, i leave at 8 Ohm switch as putting down to 4 Ohm in the receiver can degrade sound quality, there are countless arguments about this and not everyone agrees.

Don't worry about things like power handling or watts, modern speakers and AV receivers work just fine with each other, just look for a good sensitivity rating, 6 or 8 Ohm speakers will be just fine unless your AV Receiver is very poor.

The Denon you are buying will handle 6 or 8 Ohm speakers.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Alright I take it that 8 ohms is the standard?
No so much "standard" as most common.

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with 6 ohm for the Denon 1613. But you had said you were picking the Yamaha's *because* they were 6 ohm. That's what I was objecting to.

Also, 映画ファン has a good point, other than actual sound preference, sensitivity is a valid consideration if you are concerned with loudness. Anything over 88-90 is good.

Marc Grennan

Auditioning
Well what I am going for right now is just a 2.1 setup, cause I just rent a room in a house and with my bed and desk in there, it's not enough room for a full setup such as 5.1. I want speakers that can handle some quality highs and quality lows. I am not entirely sure what to look for when it comes to speakers haha... My budget for the receiver and speakers is roughly $800. I chose the Yamaha's because I found them on a website for $150 and thought it was a steal however I am not entirely dead set on what I am getting.

I've looked that the Yamahas and I think they look good, but I had the chance to hear some RB-51's from Klipsch and was amazed by them, they sounded really good but they cost $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks