Question on N64 prologic games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_S, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I finally have gotten my HT started and have my mains and surrounds hooked up. My 64 had been collecting dust for a while but I still had it connected to my reciever, so I booted it up to see if whay my games sounded like on it. I booted up Zelda:tOoT and was surprised that such a high profile title wasn't prologic, or at least didn't seem to have any sound coming from my surrounds (my reciever was set to prologic) (heh just riding around Zelda for a couple minutes and flipping through the menus reminded me of how absolutely massive, awesome and fun this game was, I may try to play through it again and rebeat it, this time without a guide [​IMG], I know I was a weakmined fifteen year old though [​IMG])
    So anyway I was wondering what are some games that had really good prologic sound for the 64 Rouge Squadron, I know has the best sound of any 64 game (though I don't know about battle for Naboo and the ill fated Indiana Jones game), I know i remember it being the only game really getting raves for it's sound at IGN (been a reader of the site since 1997, and am an insider now [​IMG]).
    I have the following games, do any of them have Prologic? (or am I mistaken and is prologic not even available on the 64?)
    Excitebike
    Donkey Kong
    Zelda Majora's Mask
    Zelda Ocarina of Time
    The New Tetris
    WCW vNWO World Tour (I remember being excited about the graphics and incredible fighting engine on this game, LOL)
    Ken Griffy Junior's Major League Baseball
    F-Zero X
    Adam

2. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

I think Majora's Mask is the only game on your list that supports Dolby Surround Sound. Most of the later Rare titles also support Dolby Surround:
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Perfect Dark
    Banjo-Tooie
    Jet Force Gemini
    [​IMG]

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I would add Donkey Kong 64 from your list to that Rare list that Steven pointed out... it has really great sound, especially in the cavernous sections. It's been a while, but the best part is in Jungle Japes, where Chunky Kong goes down in the hole marked with the giant X... the flaming jets give good separation.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Didn't OoT have an option to turn on Dolby surround?

5. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Yeah, Oot does support Prologic surround. Choose "Surround" from the sound menu.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Dumb question - what do you need cable wise to get prologic out of the N64?

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I hooked up my N64 to my Lexicon DC-1 and Zelda: OOT was FILLED with surround sound. Bats and ghouls would pan from front to back all the time. Check your connections and/or settings in the game.

Mike

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

9. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Doh I completely forgot that I have to turn on the surround in the menu. [​IMG] stupid me!
    Adam
    ps how's the sound in Conker, Perfect Dark, and Battle for Naboo? three games I plan on picking up soon, for fariliy cheap [​IMG]

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'd stick with Rogue Squadron instead of Battle for Naboo. Even though they're based on the same engine, I found RS to be a much better game overall.

Mike

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If I remember correctly Jurassic Park for the SNES was in DPL. Maybe the first ever? Here's a link I found after a 2-sec search, I'm sure there's probably more info about it somewhere.
    Edit: Did some more searching, click this link to read what games are in DPL in Spanish. It's not even close to complete, but interesting to see the games on differing systems.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I remember Conker having good sound (and sound effects). Good game, too.