What's new

question on multiple subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Brett_Y

Auditioning
I'm new to the group and from looking at the other postings i would guess that my level sophistication on issues regarding audio are a fraction of the average poster here.

That said, can anyone give me some direction on what type of setup i would need if i wanted to have a multiple (most likely 2 but possibly 3) subwoofer setup in my home theater. I have almost finished construction and have not yet purchased a receiver, speakers, subwoofers or any other electronics for that matter. I am planning on spending about $700-800 for a receiver and was hoping on avoiding the whole amp/preamp set-up but really want to find a way to run at least two powered subwoofers off a single Home theater receiver. Is this feasible? Is there a good receiver with multiple Sub outs? The room is 16 by 24 with a ceiling of 8 1/2 feet in the back and 13 feet in the front. I have tiered seating on 3 levels with a front stage. My thought was to put a subwoofer bolted on multiple arched crossmembers below the floor of teh third and possible second level to accomplish a higher level of bass resonance through the actual floor. Then additionally have my basic subwoofer located at the base of the stage and first level of seating.

Yeah, my wife thinks i'm nuts too, but any ideas?

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Brett,
You can run as many powered subwoofers as you want from one receiver sub-out using little y-connectors from Radio Shack.

subwoofer bolted on multiple arched crossmembers below the floor
This sounds a bit goofy, however. Bolting subwoofers to the framework below the floor is not a very efficient way to get the "bass shaker" effect. You'd be much better off mounting the subs in the platforms --firing up into the chairs like this Recognize also that multiple subwoofers in a single room vastly complicates the peaks and nulls from room modes. Plan on spending a lot of time with some measurement equipment to sort it all out.

In my personal opinion, I would stick with a single quality subwoofer --especially given your budget. I think you'd be suprised how much you can shake the room, furniture, and viewers with one good sub.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks