Question on Mitsu WS-65857 dvd picture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Flora, Mar 15, 2003.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

May 26, 2002
    Hello. I have the above-mentioned Mitsu RPTV. Initially, I had an old Pioneer dvd player that I used. It didn't have progressive scan and I noticed that the picture many times when watching movies had a lot of what I call "grit" to the picture. I'm sure there's a more technical term to it, but in many movies the picture didn't look very clean, almost sandy. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I finally stepped up to progressive scan with the Panasonic CP-72. Now granted the picture looks better, but I just feel like there is still a lot of that "grit" and I think that maybe I'm not doing something right with either my dvd player or my tv. I haven't really calibrated my tv, and I wouldn't know the first thing about it. I've looked at the manual to see if there is anything special I need to do to prepare it for a progressive scan player, but there is no information. Does anyone have any advise on where I should go from here? I know my question is rather vague, but I have no idea what to do. Thanks.
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    If the Mitsu is still running at the factory default settings, reduce the white and black levels immediately. Get a calibration disc, at least, and then adjust the set accordingly (a set that sophisticated deserves a full ISF-level calibration, by the way).

Meanwhile, you may simply be seeing film grain, and this is okay. A faithful DVD transfer will reveal film grain (depending on the film stock used when making the movie). And the bigger and more accurate the display, the more of this sort of detail you're going to see. (Remember, we're into replicating the cinema experience in the home.)

Newer films have less of this. And at lease a few "films" never used film at all (the latest Star Wars movie, for example, as well as digitally animated stuff such as Shrek). Ergo, you won't see grain on these DVDs, as there was none in the first place.