1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

question on mits 65611

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by harvey_mason, Oct 18, 2002.

1. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

I was wondering if I need to hook up an external roof antenna to receive high def or can I simply attach rabbit ears to my tv to get high def. My set comes w/ a built in decoder which is capable of receiving OTA hd so I just would liek to know if a simple rabbit ear job will do, or do I need to install a large antenna on top of my roof...

also does anyone know of a way to fix the red push that plagues this wonderful tv? I know of the attenuator i can buy at radio shack but i was looking for an alternative way such as servive menu adjustments...

as always thanks in advance,
    HArvey

2. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

As far as your antenna is concerned, it all depends on where you are and if any HD programming is being broadcast in your area. There are a lot of resources on the Web that will tell you what stations in your area are broadcasting in high def. If you are in a large metropolitan area, your chances are much better of receiving HD broadcasts in your area with an indoor antenna, but if you're in the suburbs, you may have to go with an outdoor rig. Regarding the red push, I have the 55411 and it was my understanding that the red push problem was corrected with this year's models. I do, however, seem to notice a little over-emphasis on the reds in the picture sometimes. I'm not sure if I'm just looking too hard for it, being aware of the problem with past models, but I would also be interested in finding out more about this and how to correct it. Jim

3. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

thanks for the response James.

How do you like your 55411?? I find the red push to be more evident with my cable viewing rather then my dvd viewing.

when i watched the sopranos last night it was pretty evident.

anyway, i live in NJ 20 min from NY and i know channel 2 is broadcast in high def only right now. I guess i will go out and buy an indoor antenna first and see what happens.

BTW- what did you turn your contrast and brightness to?? i have my contrast to about 40% and brightness at 60.

regards,
    harvey

4. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

So far, my 55411 has been great. I have the contrast at about 30-35% and the brightness at about 70%. I would say in your situation, try an indoor antenna first (you can always return it) and see if you can pull in these stations. Like I say, I MAY have a problem with red push. I too think it's more apparent on sat. viewing than on DVDs. Jim