question on lfe

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alan.M, May 11, 2006.

1. Alan.M

Alan.M Extra

On a Yamaha htr5990 should the lfe indicator light up only just before bass is being sent to sub or anytime cd/dvd has lfe in content.

Another question I have this is in a inclosed componet rack and the only way it will not overheat when listening to the radio is if i turn fan on to run always this plays movies great but radio just ok is this normal dumb question.I do listen to movies at high levels and have never had it shut down on me there.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

what's the manual say about how much clearance you need around the receiver?

p.s. where was your question, exactly?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A CD will never have LFE content, it is 2ch only. I would say the LFE light would light up only when a signal that contains an LFE channel is present.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

ah, but you are forgetting about dts cds.

anyway:

so, this beast gives off lots of heat, and the lfe light only indicates when the input signal, be it dolby digital, dts, dsd, or dvd-audio, has a discrete lfe channel.

I suggest if you need a light to tell you when the subwoofer is being used, you just might need to invest in a better subwoofer....

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

well thats correct, isn't it - that the LFE indicator lights up only when there's a signal on the source channel. The light isn't an indicator whether any signal is being output on the LFE pre-out, which may happen when you turn on DPLIIx processing or even plain stereo mode (not direct mode)

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Technically, it's not an LFE preout, unless the following conditions are met:
    1. All speakers set to large. (if small, the bass below the crossover point is mixed in)
    2. Subwoofer set to yes. (If no, the LFE is mixed in with the front speakers)
    3. No bass reinforcement, double bass, or any equalization.
    Otherwise, it's a subwoofer pre-out.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

dts CDs would definitely not be the norm though, and technically, they are more like DVDs than CDs in that you must have a digital connection or they can't be played because they rely on the ability to pass a "stowaway" on the PCM stream to get the 5.1 signal across.

8. Alan.M

Alan.M Extra

Well Jeremy I dont need a light to tell me when my svs 12ultra is hitting what i do need is someone that has more than a theatre in box that lives close by to help me make sure everything is working well.

I am trying to understand, if i put a 5.1 material disk in should LFE light stay on threw entire disk or only when actual lfe material is sent to that channel,right now light is on all the time and yes i am old, and new to such equipment.

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Yeah, the LFE light should stay on throughout the movie.

For instance, the film "Dancer in the Dark" is 50% mono, 50% full surround. Von Trier uses the contrast for artistic effect. During the "dream" sequences, a viewer can tell that it's surround. During the more mundane sequences, most if not all of the sound comes from the center speaker. But throughout the film, my receiver indicates that it's a 3/2.1 dts soundtrack.

The lights can be useful. The Phantom Manace, for instance, is quite famous for its Dolby Digital EX soundtrack. However, it also has a slightly less than awe inspiring Dolby Surround 2.0 track (perhaps for backwards compatibility.) The lights can alert you that the wrong soundtrack has been selected, long before you reach the podrace sequence. Be confident that when Jar Jar opens his mouth, his graceful rhetoric will be underlined with low frequency effects!

10. Alan.M

Alan.M Extra

Thank you Jeremy

11. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Jeremy

That is so very true indeed all my settings are set to large!

You hit the nail spot mate, I have a few dts memo discs and the set-up disc, not to mention “Titanic” by James Horner, indispensable.

I’ve had 2.1 mixes come up on “Species” only on the trailers, but there is no actual out via the JBL 4645 sub bass, it’s just an encoding error on the authoring of the DVD. Thou there are a few problems encountered on the first 1 minute of “Species” region 2 DVD UK, the right channel keeps cutting out and cutting back in, but it’s not a major fault, but still a fault of the authoring.