Question on LFE cable from receiver to subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Hansen, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Joseph Hansen

Joseph Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Howdy, all;

First off, I am a newbie as far as HT goes, so if you don't want to read a post by someone who is dumber than a brick (I know I am; just ask my wife), stop now.

I recently purchased a powered sub that has an LFE input jack. I also have on the way a new receiver/amplifier with an LFE output (should arrive next week). Okay, everything's great so far.

So, when my receiver arrives, and I go to hook everything up, what exactly do I need to connect these two components to each other?

I don't want to start a cable war here. We all have various opinions on whether or not to use generic vs. name-brand, or A/V cables for component video. I just want to know if I would be correct in using a single audio cable with an RCA plug at both ends. Or is this a bad idea (i.e., impedance mismatch, too light-duty, etc), and do I need to buy a cable specific to this task.

Thank you, one and all. I appreciate any and all help you can send my way.

Joseph

2. jeff morris

jeff morris Agent

I'm using an AR HT-152 sub cable, that I got from accessories4less for like $19, with my new SR600. If your sub has dual inputs, like my Veoldyne, you'll need the Y adapter.
    I use all AR pro cables for everything. They are good cables and don't cost an arm and a leg, like some of the higher priced companies.
    I'm not knocking the high price stuff, I just am trying to keep my costs at a reasonable level and these cables do the job for me.[​IMG]

3. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello Joseph,

Any audio cable with an RCA plug on each end will do the trick. What brand of cable and how much you want to spend is entirely up to you. I usually use a quality of cable that is appropriate given the quality of components being connected. I wouldn't spend $100 dollars to connect a mini-system but I also wouldn't connect a high quality receiver to a high quality sub with the basic cable provided by the manufacturer. All of this is based on my personal preference and has more to do with peace of mind then measurable differences.

- Jeff

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Any RCA should do. 24 foot at Radio Shack is $7.

Don't waste your money.

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

While I agree that any old coax cbale with RCA connectors will work you will be surprised as to how much improvement can be had with a decent quality Teflon insulated coax cable. The belden 89259 cable (rg59) sounds much better than the Canare/Belden RG6 coax cables. Tighter bass with improved pitch. If you are on a budget then the quality Canare/Belden cables will be fine but if you you can afford to spend a little more then try the Belden 89259 based sub cables from:

Boldercabes.com

Diycable.com

Rhinocables.ocm

8. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I agree with Mark on the issue of any old cable will do for the sub. Not necessarily true. IMHO, the Belden 89259, done up with Cardas RCA's is heads over Monster & BetterCables (two I have used).

I picked mine up from Bolder, with the Cardas, and it is worth the extra dollars I paid for it.

But, as is said, YMMV. Perhaps it is the Cardas RCA's ?

BOK

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Joseph, what I did was just picked up a RCA plug terminated RG59 6 foot video cable. It works fine. If you have some spare cable coax lying about, you could also make your own.

cheers,

--tom