Question on LD Players why not cheap?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Dec 4, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I dont understand, since the great days of DVD are here to stay for awhile anyway, why hasn't the Laserdisc players come down in price, why can't I buy a laserdisc player for like $100 bucks or so, this format is all but done, well almost anyway. Does anyone know where I can buy an LD player, the reason for an LD player is because I know someone at fox studios and Star Wars the Originals will not be on DVD till After all episodes are finished, so I want to get the original star wars on LD. DOes anyone know where I can get a cheap LD Player. Thanks

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Supply and demand - that's why you can't get a player cheap. Other than Ebay and the occasional sale here and at other other forums and sites, I don't know where you can a player cheap (my opinion - get a Pioneer). Maybe a pawn shop or garage sale.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Also because you had to pay a fair amount initially for a quality player, so owners are less inclined to eat a huge loss. It makes more sense just to keep the player. There is a swing in picture quality from one LD player to another, so don't get too excited about something ultra cheap as it will likely produce an image to match.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

6. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

Perhaps this is the wrong area, but I have to ask: how reliable is your Fox source? If you know someone at the studio who can say for sure that the original edits will see the light of dy on DVD, this is pretty big news. Any info would be helpful.

-Christian

7. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Definitely check pawn shops, especially if you live in a larger metropolitan area (I live near Tampa, Florida). Sometimes, they're going to put a lesser premium on the machines because they don't think anyone is going to want them. I found a great Pioneer model at a pawn shop for less than $50. When I was shopping for a used LD player, I saw at least three different ones in pawn shops, all priced under $100.

If you can find a place that repairs Pioneer equipment, they might still work on LD players. If they do, look around for players that might have some minor problem, like the door sticking. You might be able to snag such a machine cheap and have it brought up to like-new standards by Pioneer authorized service.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

Iam not bullshitting. I had lunch with a friend of mine, Iam not saying names in LA this past weekend who works in the FOX Advertising dept. He told me that George Lucas is not going to release Episodes 4,5,6 until all of the other episodes are complete so he can put out a definative Star Wars on DVD. But like some replays on here this is kinda old news, most people know this. However, I know for sure that all of the starwars will not come out on DVD, except for Phantom of course till Year 2005-2006.