What's new

Question on LCD RPTV (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I just bought a Sony 60" LCD RPTV. I'm watching it from about 10-11 feet away, and I notice the pixleation a lot sometimes, even when watching a couple of DVD's from a Sony player that's connected with component inputs. Is this normal for a TV like this?

It depends on your sources. If you have a satelitte, the weather may be effecting the reception. How do you have the source set up? As for the dvd player, is it a progressive scan or analog? How old is it. Sometimes with older dvd players, they "hang up" with newer dvd.

Try a couple of things. One use the best hook ups your source is capable of. Two, buy a good surge protector with cable hook ups. Three, if the dvd player is older or not progressive scan, buy a new one. A decent unit can be picked up for less than 60 dollars.

Geri

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks Geraldine, as big of an entertainment buff that I am, I'm new to setting up an HT, so I hope I don't sound too clueless :)

My cable is definitely not great, it's analog we have reception problems on all our TVs but they look worse on the 60", especially the local sports channels such as YES and MSG. I bouight a monster surge protector with cable hook ups, and my DVD player is a Sony NS715P, which uses progressive scan. The cable also passes throguh a Panasonic PS4623V VCR before going into the TV. The problem is not nearly as noticeable on DVDs, especially once I turned progressive scan on (which I couldn't use on my old TV), so that could be a matter of getting used to an LCD picture as opposed to CRT. It sounds like checking the cable hook ups is probably the best bet though, maybe I'll stop by Radio Shack to try to find better cabling for that too.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Also, try to have the Cable Guy come out and check the signal. Have you tried Digital Cable? Some people say that they get a better picture from digital, even with analog channels.

With a digital box, you can output the picture via s video. I saw a huge difference in my reception using s video.

What kind of component cables are you using for your DVD player? If you are using those thin red and yellow RCA cables that came with the player, that could be your problem.

I'm not a firm believer on spending the money on Monster Cables because it's not worth paying the extra fees for slight improvement in your picture, but getting a sub $30 set from Best Buy might be a difference for you.

It took me a while to find the best combination with my setup that I can live with.

Best of luck.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks Tim, I've been thinking about digital but I like not having the extra box and all the channels I need are on basic, but with a bigger TV, it might pay to upgrade for the extra $10-15.

I'm using component Monster Cables for the DVD, I prpbably need to get the Avia or DVE DVD to calibrate everything. Like you said, it probably will take a while to get the perfect setup and I haven't even set up my HTIF yet.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
While you are at it, check with your Cable company and see if they offer a HD box instead. Most providers charge the same price to rent a HD set top box.

You won't regret it. Your bill might be more, but it's jaw dropping when you watch HD materials, especially sports.

The NBA finals are in HD. Tonight's 7th NHL game was in HD.

It can be addicting.

You spent a pretty penny on your 60" LCD (which I'm jealous), why not let your set shine to the fullest with HD.

I don't understand when people invest in a HD set and won't get any HD feeds. It doesn't make sense. It's like getting a 911 and never breaking 65 :).

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I've been thinking about getting either Cablevision's digital cable, which comes with HD channels, or possibly VOOM, which after reading the fine print is also part of Cablevision. Once my DVD player was finally configured correctly, I popped in Star Wars Ep. 2 and it looked amazing, so now I need to work on the cable.

I'd been saving for a 50" widescreen TV for a couple of years and waiting for prices to come down and since the thinner LCD RPTVs came out, I've been drooling over them. I only got the 60" because I was able to get the sales guy to drop the price by $500 with free shipping, which is only $200 higher than the 50" at list price. I finally took the jump last week as a way of treating myself for my five year work anniversary, although now I may need to go ask for a raise again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks