Question on Kenwood VR-6070

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich_R, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Rich_R

Rich_R Extra

The manaul/web page refers to this receiver having a K-STAT Discrete Audio Amplifier, implying but not actually saying that there are dedicated, discrete amplifiers for each channel. This claim seem to be further in question whn looking at the specifications, which will say both the left and right surround channels are rated at 100Watts with one channel driven.
    What's the real story here?
    One more question, how would you compare the Kenwood VR-6070 to the Denon AVR-1803.

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Rich

Go to the Kenwood USA site. Click on Support, then click on Glossary . In the Glossary go to the I to K section and you will find good info on how Kenwood gets almost 600 watts simultaneously from a 22 pound receiver.

Artie

4. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Sound & Vision mag did a review of the Kenwood recently. They gave it high marks for performance, though they noted the field is crowded in the Kenwood's price range.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Although the Kenwood 6070 may be in a crowded field at the MSRP of $600, it is available for about $440 delivered. It is THX, and put out 92 watts per channel with all channels driven simultaneously. This is a very good showing for a $440 receiver.

Artie

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

The discrete comment refers to the output transistors. Many receivers in the lower budget price range use integrated circuit output "packs" (VERY large chips, if you will.) These are cheaper to implement but they are harder to ventilate and often channel separation can be poorer. The only receiver amp failure I've ever had was with an IC power pack unit.

As you move up the quality ladder, makers start using indiviual output transistors for each channel (sometimes more than one transistor per channel, but still individual.) Channel separation can be improved and it's easier to keep individual transistors cooled. More expensive to use this approach but it is better.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Bill, you have to add shipping to the pricerite price. My shipping cost would be $25. Also, Vann's is an authorized dealer for Kenwood.

Artie

9. Rich_R

Rich_R Extra

Thanks for all the info guys. Will probably be placing an order for the VR-6070 tomorrow.

Now I just have to find a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker set to go with it (within my speaker budget of $600).