What's new

Question on JBL NSP1 with HK AVR320......... (1 Viewer)

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fairly new to this board, and am learning tons as I go along, but I have a quick question. I've NEVER had a surround sound set-up, never even had a receiver. Being one of the newly "no longer poor" recent college grads, I've been spending some money, and contemplating spending more. I've been planning on getting the HK AVR320 and the JBL NSP1 surround package, and possibly N38's or ND310's for my mains. My question is this, I know the 320 is only 5.1 unless you have an external amp, so do I need the NSP1 AND the Mains, meaning are their plenty of connections on the back of the 320, enough to use the NSP1 as surround, and then when I play music of my computer, just use the mains, is this possible? is this typically how people do it? The reason I ask is I noticed BB has a surround set-up with 38's for fronts, a center, and N24's for rears. I just don't want to have 2 extra speakers, when 6.1 or 7.1 won't be a reality for me till I get bored with 5.1. Will the N38's or the ND310's be better front speakers than the N24's(I think these are what come with the NSP1). I guess this is just a GENERAL SET-UP QUESTION. Thanks, will clarify if you don't understand my jiberish!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Michael, if you have a stereo receiver or amp lying around or can get one for real cheap, that's all you need for the surround rear channels. I recently got a 320 and some S26s. When I hooked up my dad's old Denon stereo and some BIC speakers to the 320, I was able to set it up for 6/7.1 use. I know that you can set up the 320 for Multiroom use with another receiver, but I haven't tried it yet, and I don't know if you can use the same receiver/amp you're using to power the back.

For the speakers, I would just go with the NSP1 if all you want is 5.1, since it's better to have the same speakers all around. If you do go with 7.1, but the N28/310s in the front, and the N24s from the NSP1 as surround and surround back. Just make sure to calibrate your speaker levels with Avia or the EZSet function on the 320's remote (which is quite accurate for out-of-box).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks