What's new

Question on interaction of DVD/TV settings...noise reduction, etc. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I recently purchased a new DVD player... Mits DD-8040.

It has a number of controls that my previous DVD player didn't have... noise reduction controls, black level controls, color and tint, gamma correction, etc.

I have a two-part question:

1. Should I be using the noise reduction controls? I do notice some block and mosquito noise in dark scenes on some DVDs, but are these noise reduction controls going to give me any undersirable effects, the way that VM on RPTVs gives you unwanted edge enahncment? The player has 3 different NR controls, if I remember correctly: mosquito-noise reduction, block-noise reduction and some other one that has something to do with color (can't remember exactly...)

2. How should I "weight" the DVD player picture controls (black level, white level, picture, tint) versus the TV's controls for the same options? Obviously, I could get in and calibrate with either... my gut instinct is just to keep my DVD player's levels at "zero" and adjust the TV's settings for the proper calibration. Of course, I will utilize the DVD player's gamma correction if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Note to admins: I wasn't sure if this would go in this section or "Displays"... so please move if needed.

Thanks!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, I turn off all unnecessary processing circuits in both the TV and the player (VM, Flesh tone, etc.), and set the player video adjustments (color, tint, brightmess, etc.) to their mid points (usually this is the default setting).

I then make all video adjustments in the TV.

There may be instances where you may need to tweak the players adjusment (sharing a single TV input to multiple sources) but for the most part, its best to lock them down.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks