Question on impedance switches and the Sony DA5ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_T, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have a question on the Sony DA5ES and the impedance switch on the rear.

The impedance switch is a 4ohm - 8ohm selectable switch, where if you have any speakers lower than 8ohm you are to set the switch to 4ohm.

I have all 6 main speakers (fronts, center, surround and back surround) rated at 6ohms. I set the switch in both modes for a week at a time (one week at 4ohms and another week at 8ohms), and didn't really notice a difference - so I left it on 8 ohms.

BUT, the manual indicates that at 8ohms the receiver is rated to deliver 110 watts per channel, but at 4ohms it is only rated to deliver only 90 watts per channel.

So my question is, am I doing any harm to the receiver or speakers by leaving the selector set to 8ohms? I do notice that the receiver set to 4 ohms runs very cool - and gives off almost no heat even after extended listening periods. With the switch set to 8 ohms the receiver gets fairly warm (but not hot). I think I understand what the switch is utilized for, and it is most likely there to protect the receiver from overloading trying to drive too low an impedance. But I don't really want to limit the overall power output to 90watts by setting the switch to 4ohms.

What are anyone's thoughts here on this subject? Obviously if I don't really hear any sound quality difference it might be safer to set the switch to 4ohms and forget about it?

Anyone?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Michael

You are correct about what the switch is there for and what it does. If the receiver only get moderately warm with the 8 ohm setting, I would use it. Having the extra power available is very desireable. You should be fine with the 8 ohm setting.

Artie

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

The switch I believe reduces the rail voltage on the output stage and reduces the max power output available and the heat.

You are probably limiting to more like 50-60Watts at 8ohms and somewhere in between at 6ohms. You won't hear any difference at normal listening levels but you lose the headroom for HT. If it only gets warm then leave it at 8ohms.

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Oh! And we expect a full report on your 5es.[​IMG]

5. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Earl,

I posted an extensive review of what I thought about the unit a few weeks ago - and you commented "Nice job" right after my long post.

I guess it was lost when this forum had a server crash.

Maybe after some time passes I will post another long review, but in the meantime:

I find the DA5ES to be excellent with DTS, DD, DPL2 for movies. It is much better than the Integra was in this respect. The Sony isn't as easy to use as the Integra, but the clarity of dialogue and overall impact of movie sound is very good.

On the music front, the Sony is a mixed bag. It is definitely not as warm sounding as the Integra was - and I was a bit disappointed with this in the beginning. I chalked this up to no breakin, and the fact that I was now listening to music through 2-channel analog direct (which even though the Integra had a direct setting, I am not so sure it was pure analog direct). The Sony had more of a bright, slightly harsh tone, with music when initially set-up. I think things are starting to moderate a bit, or I am getting used to the sound. One thing in favor of the Sony is the clarity and definition I now hear in all music sources that I don't remember hearing with the Integra. So overall the Sony is "clinically" more precise in it's musical presentation, but the Integra might be a tad more "musical".

The Sony is only about 3+ weeks old - so continued use and breakin of those large power supply capictors, as well as other parts may, in the long run, render a different opinion.

My suggestion is that for movies - don't hesitate in purchasing this Sony. For music, a more concerted effort should be taken in listening closely to the unit to see if it meets with your overall expectations. If it wasn't for the two separate multi-channel inputs (which was something that was important to me) I probably wouldn't have even considered purchasing this Sony receiver. Nonetheless I am very happy with it's performance, even if I feel it presentation with musical sources (specifically CD and SACD) is a bit brighter than I might prefer.

6. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Michael, with careful tweaking of the EQ, you can take care of the brightness. Just don't go overboard. You can increase the mid range some and decrease the treble a little (try .5 db steps to 1db steps) and take care of the over detail the Sony ES line is known for. Of course you may not want to do this with 2 channel as it may not be a pure analog signal if you use the EQ (it probably does the EQ in the digital domain). You can tame some of the bright DVD soundtracks with the EQ however. Switch from the EQ off to the EQ on to compare the differences.

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Charles,

You are correct in that I probably do not want to do this with 2-channel analog direct since I trying to preserve the signal as pure analog direct. In fact, in 2-channel analog direct (and on the multi-channel direct inputs) you cannot even invoke the EQ - since it would introduce the signal into the digital domain.

I have only found music to be on the bright side. Movie soundtracks have been right on - with great detail, where the center channel dialogue mixes very well with the, sometimes, overblown effect that todays movies are so famous for.