What's new

question on hooking up a turntable (1 Viewer)

harvey_mason

Agent
Greetings all...

I have a nakamichi av-10 receiver that I am real happy with.
However I want to hook up a turntable to my receiver, but I have no phone inputs to hook into. I know there is a certain type of TT I need to buy to hook into a tape input or cd input.

My question is what type of turntable to I need to buy, and secondly what is a decent price to pay for one. I mostly have my system setup for 50% ht and 50% music (mostly cds) but I do have an old vinyl collection that I want to still be able to enjoy.. I don't want to spend a fortune on a TT maybe 2-3 hundred dollars...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance,
HArvey

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It’s not the turntable that’s the problem; it’s the cartridge (the device that translates the mechanical motion of the needle to electrical current) that is the issue. Basically the voltage output of most cartridges is much lower than other sources, such as tuners, DVD players, etc.

You just need to boost the signal to the voltage required by the AUX (or whatever) input of your receiver.

harvey_mason

Agent
Thats all and good, but I am still confused as to what I need to buy and how to do it....

You have to excuse my ignorance on thsi matter...

Can you tell me what I need to buy in addition to a standard turntable or can I buy a turntablle already equipped w/ something to boost the signal??

regards,

HArvey

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Just buy a phono stage. The phono stage basically has inputs for you to connect your turntable and outputs for connection to your receiver. You should be able to get a decent phono stage like the NAD PP-1 for around $100.

harvey_mason

Agent
so if I have this phono stage any turntable will then work for my receiver w/ no phono inputs??

thanks again,
HArvey

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Yes, if you have a phono stage, you will be able to run the turntable into anything that amplifies or routs an audio signal.
As for turntables, I would look either for a used Rega planar 3 or a Music Hall MMF5. These are generally around $300 with a cartridge and sound really good for the price.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You also have to be a bit careful since there are more than one type of cartridge and not all phono stages work with all type cartridges. The more common Moving Magnet cartridge is what most people use. Some higher end Moving Coil types can be very low output or higher output varieties. The low output variety needs even a more special Phono stage though the newer HO MC generally can use the same phono stage as the MM type.

There are some basic tables these days that have the phono stage built into the table and provide a basic line level output already. I think the basic Denon and some of the Sony's do this. They aren't real good things, buit they do provide a simple listenable output for normal casual play.

It gets complicated once you more past the basic turntables.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Harvey, first determine which type of cartridge your turntable has -- moving magnet (MM) or moving coil (MC). If you have an inexpensive turntable, then it probably has a moving magnet cartridge. In that case, I would second the NAD PP-1 phono pre-amp. I bought one last year from Sound City (1-800-370-3156) for $85. Sound City is an authorized NAD dealer. For more on the PP-1, go to the following link:
http://www.nadelectronics.com/Special/PP1.html
Using a phono pre-amp is very easy. Using the PP-1 as an example, simply plug the left- and right-channel cables from the turntable into the inputs on the PP-1. Then run the left- and right-channel cables from the PP-1 into any pair of stereo analog inputs on your AV-10. The PP-1 has no ground screw, so I run the ground cable from my turntable to my amp. I simply have the one end of ground cable on the turntable and the other end under a screw on the amp. Once the ground cable is connected on both ends, simply plug in the PP-1. That's it!
Note that the cables on the PP-1 are hardwired and are short, so you would have to place it close to your receiver. Hope this helps.

harvey_mason

Agent
Thanks to everyone for the help and knowledge!!!

I can't wait to bring my vinyl collection back to life!!
I have approx. 300 albums that i haven't listened to in 5 or 6 years!!! Mostly 80s stuff and classic rock 70s!!!

Now I just need to find a turntable!!!!

thanks again!!

Harvey

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Harvey, what is your budget for a turntable? The Music Hall MMF-5 and Rega Planar 2 are excellent for the price. I am interested in the getting the MMF-5 one day. For now, my $200 Sony PS-LX350H turntable is serving me well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks