Question on hooking up 2 TV's to one Sat Dish

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Beau B, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello to all

I was wondering if it is possible to hook up 2 different TV's and 2 different Sat receivers to a Single LNB Dish and get 2 seperate channels.

If not what is the best way to hook up 2 tv's to get on the same channel, wires or wireless.

I live in a Apartment so I did not want it to be a big project. My dish is already 3 stories up on the roof and I am on the bottom floor so changing LNB's is not an option.

Thanks

Beau

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Are you talking about an 18" dish with one LNB or are you talking about a real single LNB? Real single LNBs haven't been around for years. They look just like a dual LNB but they only have one output. All 18" dishes sold in the last couple of years have dual LNBs.

Do you have RG-6 cables run from the dish to your apartment or just one? If it's two, then you just connect each to a receiver. If it's one, then you run more cable or you use a stacker. Either way, you have to make a trip to the dish.

You also used the word 'Dish'. Do you mean Dishnetwork? If so, you may have DishPro equipment and that would mean a different answer.

-Robert

3. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I have Direct TV. It is an older 18 in dish 5 years, single LNB.

Thanks,

Beau

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You have to make a trip to the roof. Either to change out the LNB to a dual and run another coax or change out the LNB to a dual and add a stacker. I don't know how much it would cost to have a professional run another coax but the stacker solution would be about $250-$300 and you would not be able to upgrade to a multi-sat dish.

-Robert

5. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Robert,,

Is there a good wireless way to hook up 2 sets then, if so what kind and how much am I looking at?

I know that both sets will have to be on the same channel.

Beau

6. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Beau,

I saw a wireless video transmitter at Best Buy over the weekend for $99. It will send the signal from one TV to another. I have no idea how well it will work.

Todd

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

A simple solution would be to run coax from the RF output of your sat receiver to the 2nd TV, then get a set of wireless remote extenders for control of the receiver from the remote location.

If for some reason it's not feasible for you to get coax from the sat receiver to the 2nd TV, a wireless a/v sender like Todd suggested is the only other option I know of....it will, however, cost more and not work as well.

Vin

8. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for all of the info.

I just need it for A Superbowl party at my place.

My friends and I will be on the Big Screen and my wife and her friends will be in the spare room tv HA HA HA.

Beau