What's new

Question on homemade 5.1 EX (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
I heard somewhere on this forum that I can get 5.1 EX surround using 2, 5.1 receivers. Example, I have a Integra 5.2 receiver and a Pioneer Elite 24tx receiver that both do DTS and Dolby Digital. I saw on this forum that I can use my Pionner Elite reciever as my main componet and hook up the integra receiver's surround channels for the EX back channel, I can do this instead of getting a receiver that has 6.1. Is this true.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
1. Connect your DVD audio-out to the Pioneer.
2. Connect the FL-Center-FR speakers to the Pioneer.
3. LFE should also be connected to the Pioneer.
4. Use RCA cables to connect the Surround pre-outs from the Pioneer to an available input on the Integra (ex. CD).
5. Connect the SL-SB-SR speakers to the FL-Center-FR on the Integra.
6. Set the Pioneer to DD/dts, set the Integra to 3-Channel Surround.
There you have it, homemade 5.1 EX. Step 5 is the most confusing, but what's even more annoying is calibrating the new setup. Good luck!
Pieter

i recently did a pseudo ex set-up using an onkyo for my main receiver and a yamaha to 'extract' the rear center channel. it's exactly as they explained. derek's site is very informative. you can use the thx optimode set-up on certain discs (such as toy story 2) to calibrate your rear channels. it's not just worth it. it's actually great. the rear center channel adds a new dimension to your home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.