Question on homemade 5.1 EX

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Aug 3, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I heard somewhere on this forum that I can get 5.1 EX surround using 2, 5.1 receivers. Example, I have a Integra 5.2 receiver and a Pioneer Elite 24tx receiver that both do DTS and Dolby Digital. I saw on this forum that I can use my Pionner Elite reciever as my main componet and hook up the integra receiver's surround channels for the EX back channel, I can do this instead of getting a receiver that has 6.1. Is this true.

2. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

1. Connect your DVD audio-out to the Pioneer.
    2. Connect the FL-Center-FR speakers to the Pioneer.
    3. LFE should also be connected to the Pioneer.
    4. Use RCA cables to connect the Surround pre-outs from the Pioneer to an available input on the Integra (ex. CD).
    5. Connect the SL-SB-SR speakers to the FL-Center-FR on the Integra.
    6. Set the Pioneer to DD/dts, set the Integra to 3-Channel Surround.
    There you have it, homemade 5.1 EX. Step 5 is the most confusing, but what's even more annoying is calibrating the new setup. Good luck!
    Pieter

3. derek

derek Second Unit

4. Joseph Anlacan

i recently did a pseudo ex set-up using an onkyo for my main receiver and a yamaha to 'extract' the rear center channel. it's exactly as they explained. derek's site is very informative. you can use the thx optimode set-up on certain discs (such as toy story 2) to calibrate your rear channels. it's not just worth it. it's actually great. the rear center channel adds a new dimension to your home theater.