1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on HK Avr-7200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Johnal, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Well, I received my HK 7200 receiver and haven't taken it out of the box yet as I have not completely decided whether to keep it due to financial reasons. Anyway, I finally decide to measure my entertainment space and realize that I will need to cut a hole in the back to make it fit as the receiver is one inch too deep. What I would like to know is how long the receiver is from front to back in terms of where the "feet" are. I hope I'm makin' sense. I'll have 2.5 inches to spare on each side, and 2 inches above. I hope that with the back opened up there will be proper ventillation. Although, my room does get sorta warm...anyway, thanks for any responses [​IMG]

-Johnal

2. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I don't mean to be rude, but why not take it out the box and see how if fits? Instead of asking someone else for measurements, take the thing out of the box! You got it right there.

You'll probably need more space on top for ventilation. It has been known to get very warm.

3. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    There is quite a bit of packaging and like I stated in the post...I am really not certain whether or not I'll keep it due to financial reasons. (My cat recently needed surgery and cost me $1200 that I wasn't ready to shell out.) I had it mailed to me so it is actually a box inside of another box as it is and I guess I sorta just assumed it would be easier for someone who already has it out to measure for me. I'm not in a hurry for an answer so I figured it'd be easier just this way.

-Johnal

4. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I haven't measured it but I would guess it was about 18" or a little less. The rear feet are quite a ways forward of the rear of the unit. I understand why your not taking it out of the box. Some places don't let you return unless it is still sealed. Remember to provide room for this thing to breath and account for room to attach the interconnects to the inputs. It took me a while to find the rack to fit this one. The size really cut down my choices.

5. Mike JL

Mike JL Extra

The feet are about 15 inches apart, but almost all of the overhang is in the rear. The front feet are very near the front of the unit.

6. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Thanks Michael and Mike! Do you think that if the back portion of the unit was sticking out of my entertainment center that that would allow for enough ventillation due to my only have 2 inches to spare height-wise. I do have the 2.5 inches on each side...and that is a snug fit, but with the back 3 or 4 inches of the unit being fully exposed, you think there will be enough air flow? Thanks again for your responses.

-Johnal

7. Mike JL

Mike JL Extra

Hard to say. I have about six inches of free space between the top of the 7200 and the next higher shelf. That next shelf up is very warm to the touch. On the other hand, the hole I cut through the back of my shelf unit is just barely larger than the dimensions of the 7200, so there is not a lot of air movement through there. I did that on purpose so you can't tell the back is cut out when looking from the front. If your rear opening is larger on the top and sides to allow for air movement, it may work.

8. mike>r

mike>r Extra

I own a H/K 310 and it tends to run very warm as most H/K's do,mine is in a cabinet and I added a small fan inside, I can run for hours at high volumes and is almost cool to the touch,with out an external fan in that small of cabinet you are asking for trouble.Remember this "Heat Kills".

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Very true. I recall reading an article recently to the effect of 18 degrees of heat would reduce the component life by 40%.

10. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Hehe, yeah...i did some thinking earlier and decided against it...even if it means having to keep it out of the entertainment console till I find a better place for it. It's not worth the risk. Thanks again. [​IMG]