Question on forced DD EX (or other rear surround methods)...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MarcWi, Jun 26, 2003.

1. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Do people generally force 5.1 mixes into 6.1 if their receiver allows you to do so? Or is it more disruptive to the waay the track was authored to sound?

Thanks in advance....

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I suspect that the reason you're not getting much response is because this was posted in the Basics forum. You're looking for answers from more experienced users. I'll move it to Receivers and see what happens.

I'm also editing the title. Regardless of what some receiver manufacturers call it, the mode you're asking about isn't "6.1". You're asking about matrix or ProLogic decoding on 5.1 soundtracks that weren't specifically encoded for it (as, e.g., Dolby EX soundtracks are). "6.1" refers to a format in which the back center channel is discretely encoded, and only DTS-ES Discrete offers that.

M.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I leave my Pioneer 45tx in forced mode almost all the time. The manuals caution that this may be detrimental with some sound mixes, and I think this applies to mixes in which both of the normal surround channels are carrying the same sound--makes everthing that would normally be in the regular surrounds shift to the back surrounds (or more accurately rear center). This would probably happen with Pro-Logic I decoding of 2 channel soundtracks, for example.

I have default decoding for 2 channel sources set at DPLII, so haven't run into this problem yet.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I normally have my receiver in the forced mode, but every now and again I'll run into a disc where the surround collapses into the rear center. In that case I switch to normal 5.1.

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

For me and my room/setup forcing 7.1 from a 5.1 source does indeed collapse everything to the rears and I lose a sense of soundstage and atmosphere. So for 5.1 I listen in 5.1 for DD-ex and DTS-ES I use the rear channels.

YMMV,

John

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Depends on the movie...sometimes it sounds better, sometimes it doesn't. Recent examples of soundtracks that I've felt sounded better forced into 5.1-EX were "Blue Crush", "Coyote Ugly" and a release coming out next week, "Basic".

8. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Thanks for the input everyone! i had disabled this because I tried it out and was not thrilled, but have since realized that the particular disc was defective. I'll be listening to some more titles with the "force" on to further evaluate. And Michael, thanks for switching to the appropriate forum and title!

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: Here's some forced Matrix-6.1 DD/DTS-5.1 DVD's that really worked well ...

1) Spy Kids 2 (forced DD-EX)
    2) Spiderman (forced DD-EX)
    3) Pearl Harbor (forced DTS-ES-matrix)
    4) Armageddon - Criterion Collection (forced DD-EX)
    5) Spirited Away (forced DD-EX)
    6) Galaxy Quest DTS (forced DTS-ES-matrix)
    7) Star Trek - First Contact (forced DD-EX)
    8) Darkness Falls (2003) (forced DD-EX)

I commented on some of the above DVD's @ my HTSpot Yamaha RX-V1300 subjective review, here's an example of what I wrote about ...

10. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Wow-thanks for the detailed respone! I really appreciate the inpput!

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I no longer bother with that since I "upgraded" the surrounds to monopole. It is also placed on stands and in about 105 degree[from listening spot].This creates a very precise imaging, it creates a "phantom back centre" speaker, just like the fronts do.Having said that I leave the decoder in EX/ES mode if the preamp detects the flag on the disc.

12. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Yes, the EX/ES matrix and 6.1 formats (to go by the moderator definitions) seem to mainly be suited for systems using bi/di/tripoles for rear surrounds or where the room constraints force the rear surrounds to be ahead of the seating position.