Question on file size limitations...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jimmy M, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

I'm doing work with older home videos and putting them on DVD. I have also found that my computer claims that it will not handle files larger than 4 (or so) gig. Is this a BIOS issue, an OS issue (I have Windows ME) or something else? And is it possible to make the size limit either much bigger, or go away entirely? And lastly, if it is possible, how might I accomplish it?

And if possible, not too much tech talk in an answer. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Jimmy!

2. Ken.Nischan

Ken.Nischan Agent

The problem is your FAT file system. Load 2k/XP and use NTFS to get around that issue. There are supposedly tools you can get to use NTFS with a 9x engine OS, but that'd be pretty absurd.

3. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

Thanks Ken,

What's NTFS and what's a 9x engine OS?

Jimmy!

4. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

Thanks Ken,

What's NTFS and what's a 9x engine OS?

Jimmy!

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Windows 98 uses a file system called Fat32, which has a 4gig limit. Windows 2000 and XP use a file system called NTFS (NT file system, from WindowsNT).

9x engine means a 90's windows version (Win95, Win98, Win98SE, Win98ME).

The problem is you're running windows 98.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Windows 98 uses a file system called Fat32, which has a 4gig limit. Windows 2000 and XP use a file system called NTFS (NT file system, from WindowsNT).

9x engine means a 90's windows version (Win95, Win98, Win98SE, Win98ME).

The problem is you're running windows 98.

7. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

FYI, I just replaced 98 with XP and its like night and day. XP is making my 4 year old system run like it just got a tune-up. My system boots up faster, gets to web pages faster and its fixed a number of problems I had using 98.eg. I couldn't access certain sites and had problems opening some files. All fixed now.

8. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

FYI, I just replaced 98 with XP and its like night and day. XP is making my 4 year old system run like it just got a tune-up. My system boots up faster, gets to web pages faster and its fixed a number of problems I had using 98.eg. I couldn't access certain sites and had problems opening some files. All fixed now.

9. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

I'd go to XP, but earlier this year my hard drive went bad. I got a new one and attempted to load XP on it, and it gave me an error which translated to some part of the hardware was not liking XP.

Is there any web site or software to download which can check compatibility with 2000 before I attempt an upgrade?

Thanks!

Jimmy!

10. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

I'd go to XP, but earlier this year my hard drive went bad. I got a new one and attempted to load XP on it, and it gave me an error which translated to some part of the hardware was not liking XP.

Is there any web site or software to download which can check compatibility with 2000 before I attempt an upgrade?

Thanks!

Jimmy!

11. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

on microsoft's website search for the win2k HCL (hardward Combatibility List). You can check your hardware manually or you can download a prog that will look at your system and direct you to any possible problems. though sometimes it say you will have incompatiblity problems but in fact if you instal it will run fine. check it out

12. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

on microsoft's website search for the win2k HCL (hardward Combatibility List). You can check your hardware manually or you can download a prog that will look at your system and direct you to any possible problems. though sometimes it say you will have incompatiblity problems but in fact if you instal it will run fine. check it out