Question on DVD Tosiba vs Sony

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Dec 6, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I just got a Toshiba SD3755 Progressive Scan 5 Disc Changer, Now since I dont have HDTV and Iam not getting one till a couple of years from now and I cant get any benefits from Progressive Scan, I was thinking about taking back the Toshiba and getting the Sony 5 Disk Changer DV605D, I think thats the model number. SHould I stick with the Toshiba or go with the sony, I want to go with the sony because it has a function where you can label you DVD's so I know which movie is in the DVD player so I dont have to keep on hitting the Disk Skip to get to the DVD I wanna watch, Anyone have any Advice. Thanks

2. scott_tinari

The Sony I wanna get is not Progressive scan by the way!

3. scott_tinari

Anybody Give me an answer to this. Thanks

4. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

if you're not having any problem w/ the toshiba, i say just keep it. how much cheaper is the sony?

joel

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Has Toshiba improved the anamorphic downconversion on their newer players? I definitely preferred Sony's algorhythm to Toshiba's (too many jagged edges) when I used to pay attention to such things (I now have a 16x9 TV).

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

7. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I don't have any experience with Sony players, let me say that up front. I have heard people say they have a "soft" image compared to other players. I recently sold my Toshiba 5109 to a friend who had a Sony player. Now this was his 1st progressive scan experience, so that could explain his reaction. But, he was stunned by the difference in players. He described the Toshibas picture as so much more vivid, sharp, and engaging. He is thrilled with the difference. So if I were you, I would compare the 2 pictures you will get from the 2 players you are considering before making a change.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Due to the way that the Sony presents the picture, it will tend to be a little bit softer than on the Toshiba. However, it's not blurry or bad, really. It minimizes scan lines quite effectively.

I've found Sony DVD players to be highly reliable, with a minimum of disc issues. Toshiba seems to produce players that have very low error tolerances and they choke on discs quite often---Disney discs especially seem to be problematic. So I'd opt for the Sony any day.

9. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I had my 5109 for 2 years and I never had a disk that it "choked" on. Disney's Dinosaur was EXTREMELY slow to load menus, but it worked fine. No other disks I ever tried caused a problem, and believe me I watch plenty of DVDs. Good luck with your decision, Scott.

10. scott_tinari

I thank you guys for some advice but what do I do then?

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Have you considered the Sony 650V. It is a 5 disc changer with SACD. I have been considering this. It is priced between $350 - $400. I have been very happy with the 3 year old Sony S-300. The main reason I want to get a new player is that the old S-300 will not do DTS.

12. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Toshiba makes great DVD players. I have had my 5109 for 2 years now and I still love the picture that it puts out. My small gripe is that Toshiba doesn't have discrete codes for my pronto.

13. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    The Toshiba 2150 has been my first and only DVD player for the last year almost and so far I've been very happy with it. The down conversion on it is my only real gripe with it, although it probably isn't as noticeable to me because I'm watching on a 20 inch screen but it is still noticeable. Toshiba does make a good product though and I would highly consider sticking with your Toshiba.

14. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    The Toshiba 2150 has been my first and only DVD player for the last year almost and so far I've been very happy with it. The down conversion on it is my only real gripe with it, although it probably isn't as noticeable to me because I'm watching on a 20 inch screen but it is still noticeable. Toshiba does make a good product though and I would highly consider sticking with your Toshiba.

Edit: I'd like to add also that I've been happy with my Toshiba's sharp picture.