Question on dvd audio with Yamaha HTR-5790

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Himanshu_S, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

Today I connected 5.1 analog outputs from dvd player to analog inputs on my receiver. When I played the dvd audio disc, the sound was LOUD. TOO LOUD. So loud that I had to mute the volume. Even with mute on, there was sound but it was good listening level. However, just one notch above mute causes my speakers to blast off. Is there a setting that I forgot about? I would like to listen to dvd audio in true 5.1 sound but this was just ridiculous. Even SACD did the same thing. Movies are not a problem. Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks for replies.

2. John S

John S Producer

Sure you didn't go into the power amp in's, instead of the analog 5.1 input?

I mean, with the real 5.1 analog inputs, the volume control should work as normal.

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

John's diagnosis seems correct. It appears you might have run the cables to the "main in" jacks, which go directly to the power amp.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Check the channel level settings in the player, as the are the first possibility when using analog. Next would be to see if there are channel level settings in the receiver for the m/c inputs also. If you had both at their max, it could also cause this problem.

If the receiver has main ins, I'd check that first though.

5. Himanshu_S

Thanks for the replies. I just checked the manual online and saw that I plugged the DVD outputs to the pre-out section. Go ahead you can call me stupid [​IMG] I couldn't clearly see the back of the receiver when I was hooking this up and I didn't even think about the pre-out connections at the time. Anyways, I will change it when I go home and it should sound a lot better [​IMG].

Thanks for all your help!

My DVD player does have the channel levels but they are all set to 0 db so they should be all same. I was thinking about decreasing the level but my real problem was wrong connection.

6. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

How do you like the 5790?

7. Himanshu_S

This receiver is probably one of the best thing in my HT setup. For the price I paid ($530) it can't be beat. I like the sound of the yamaha receivers as well as HK receivers. However, I do not find the pioneer sound to be natural. It just sounds mechanical to me. The 5790 has MORE than enough power to drive my klipsch F3's, S3's, C3 and SVS PB-10. I can crank it up to 0 db master volume and it will be LOUD but it will not distort. The YPAO auto setup works REALLY good. It balances out the speakers according to your room acoustics which for me was a very big deal since I have a large opening on the right causing left to sound louder than the right speaker if not properly adjusted. It doesn't eq the sub like HK AVR-635 but I haven't had the need too. I just did it manually using avia disk and SPL meter.

Bottom line, for the price it can't be beat. If you were planning to spend $700 on a receiver, I would advise you to look at Harman Kardon AVR-635. I have demoed that receiver at my friends place and it is one amazing receiver.

Circuit City carries AVR-635 but you should buy it from jr.com. Last time I checked, yesterday, the price was 689.99 for the AVR-635. CC sells it for over $1000!

I plugged my dvd 5.1 analog inputs into correct inputs on my receiver. I can now control the volume level as expected. One thing threw me off is that the remote has a special mode for MULTI channel music. I kept trying play the DVD audio disc but sound wouldn't come on. Finally saw the MULTI CH IN button on the remote. This worked like a charm.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have the 5790 as well. you only piad $530 for it? that's a great deal...good job!

of course, the 5890 is out now. i think the only difference is a rs-232 port and more power (140w/ch)???

9. Himanshu_S

I am not sure if the Yamaha specs are correct or jr.com specs. Yamaha lists 140x7 but doesn't state the range i.e. 20Hz-20KHz. However, jr.com does state the range but the power is rated at 120wx7. I am thinking that specs on yamaha.com are not for 20Hz-20KHz. Also, I am not sure what the RS-232 port is used but assume its for upgradeability. It's really not much improved at all and I don't think 10wpc is gonna make a night and day difference, if any.