What's new

Question on Dolby vision and HDR10 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I picked up a Panasonic 820 player. I went into the menus and selected the Dolby vision option, since turning it on this seems to determine which encode it picks, is that the only way to select DV or HDR 10 or can I toggle it on the fly ?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't have that particular player, but if it's like my Philips, if you select Dolby Vision in set-up, any disc that has both HDR and DV will default to DV. Of course, if the disc only has HDR, that's what will play.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah seems to be the way it works. How does everyone decide which version to watch !?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have the same player. I think you should be able to set it to auto or manually select the desired mode, assuming both are available in the content. I'll verify later tonight.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own this player. @Matt Hough is correct -- if you turn Dolby Vision on in the setup menu, it will play any DV encoded material in that format. If the material is encoded in HDR10 only, it will play back in HDR10. For non-HDR material, it will play it back without any HDR.

Personally, if the disc is encoded in Dolby Vision, I want the player to play back in that format.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It never even occurred to me to switch away from DV when it was available. Why would you want to do that?

I only just received this player yesterday. There is an "HDR" button on the remote. Maybe it lets you switch modes.

Incidentally, I wanted to get mine from Value Electronics on the Black Friday deal, but I hesitated and when I came back they were sold out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I own the UB9000. With Dolby Vision set to On in the Setup menu, the player will ALWAYS play back DV-encoded discs using DV. If you want to view the HDR encode on such titles, you must disable DV in Setup. The 820 works the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks