What's new

Question on DLS sub and its internal crossover (1 Viewer)

SeanDM

Agent
I just set-up my first HT and I've been experiementing with different speaker size settings, etc. to find the right sound. I'm using the DLS sub and have a question about it's operation.

I have my fronts set to "large" and the sub setting on my receiver (Pioneer 811) set to send low frequencies to the sub as well. The receiver crossover is set to 100Hz. I was listening to a CD yesterday and trying out different sub volume settings. I found that when I turned the sub crossover all the way up (to the right), the sub stopped producing sound. When I backed it off, just a little, the sub came in again. Also, as I move the crossover setting from lowest to highest, the sound from the sub slowly increases, until, as I mentioned, I get just to the end then the sound stops. I didn't have a chance to try it out with the fronts set to "small", but I will tonight to see if it responds the same way.

With the receiver crossover set to 100, I understand that if I move the sub crossover below 100, there is a bass "hole" between 100 and whatever the sub setting is, but why does it cut out when the sub crossover is maxed out? BTW, the sub crossover lists response as continuously variable from 40 to 160Hz.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Sean I have not played around with my settings like you are trying. I did try the mains as large once but did not like it. If a guy has the right equipment he will do well with this option I have herd. I would not think you should have any problem with your crossover to max in your configuration. See what happens the conventional way > Small. I have mine set to max-full and no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks