What's new

Question on Direct tv with Tivo and 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello to all,

I have the Hughes Direct tv rec. with Tivo and Dolby Digital hookup.

When the show says 5.1 How come my system goes to pro logic and will not go to 5.1

I have an optical cable from tivo to my H/K AVR 520 so it should work right/

What am I doing wrong. HELP!!!!

Beau

You have to go into the audio setup menu on your sat reciever and configure it for dolby digital audio. I have a Hugues reciever and had to do the same thing.

I just got a DirecTV system as well with TIVO, but it's the RCA model with 35 hours. I think it is basically the same as yours. I am going to buy an Optical Cable tomorrow for it to my receiver as well. What did you use for a cable and do you think it really matters much? I saw something online for a Monster/THX 4' for $19.95. I don't have "expert" ears and prefer best bang for your buck/budget HT gear. I have a Kenwood HTB DD/DTS System I bought almost 4 years ago and still love it.

I'm curious as to how well the TIVO/DirecTV system integrates with the reset of your HT gear. I get my satellite installed Thursday and am really looking forward to it.

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched things that said 5.1 surrond or 5.1 circle surround and they did not come through in 5.1.

I have the dolby digital turned on my Sat rec.

What TV shows should be comming through in 5.1?

Beau

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Circle surround 5.1 is not the same as Dolby Digital 5.1. You are only likely to get DD 5.1 on movie channels, e.g. HBO or Showtime.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Hughes HDVR2. I've only seen true Dolby Digital 5.1 programs on HBO, HBOW, Starz and StarzW. A few PPV channels will have it as well. Too bad that because of the compression, the picture isn't as good as the sound!

As for cables, I bought several TOSLink cables on eBay for about $6.00/each shipped. They work perfectly. I don't have a top-of-the-line THX system or anything, but I have a really decent setup and everything I use the optical cables for (DirecTiVo, DVD, laserdisc) sounds great!

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
George, in my opionion any optical cable will work. I've tried both a $40 monster and a $10 phillips and can't tell the difference. As someone else stated, most channels will be 2 ch. stereo, but you can hear the difference between composite audio and optical audio.

Thanks Kevin and everybody else for your posts. I got the low end Monster $19.95 cable and look foward to my DirecTV being setup tomorrow. Even if I won't get DD programming most of the time, I might as well use Optical for the potential of better quality. The only other option for audio are the standard L/R composite cables. And with HBO free for 3 months, I'll be able to test it for a bit, even though I haven't seen movie channels with widescreen....yet!

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all who responded.

It was nice to hear that we are all in the same boat.

Beau

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks