Question on Denon 3802 dd dropouts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonT, Nov 13, 2002.

1. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

I have noticed the Dolby Digital droput problem on a few DVDs Ive watched (on a very few) and usually it only happens once or twice during a viewing. However the last movie I watched, Mr. Deeds, had several dropouts. According to the Dolby Digital web site, they know the problems with the various flags in the bit stream and they encouraged DVD shops to stop using the format in question. They said, supposedly, that they were working on a fix for this in their encoding so that it wouldnt happen on the older receivers. My questions are, does anyone else have this problem with the 3802, does Denon have a fix for this, is it really necessary to get the fix if it only happens on a few DVDs and Dolby is supposedly working on the problem? Any guidance on tis issue would be helpful. Thanks. To see Dolby's response, go to
    http://dolby.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/do...cGFnZT0x&p_li=
    It just seems to me that if they were REALLY doing anything about this, that Mr. Deeds is such a new release, that any fix they would be implementing would have been done by then. This is just one more reason why I ALWAYS use DTS tracks when they are available.

2. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Don, I watched Mr. Deeds a while ago - never experienced any dropouts - don't recall any other movies with dropouts either - this is on the 3802 as well.

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Don, I have a 2802 and no dropouts with Mr.Deeds as well.

4. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

hmm, thats weird. i watched star wars II on it and that was a 2.5 hour movie in dd ex and it didnt drop out one time. i think the dropout problem may be an intermittent thing, and sometimes the flags affect the decoding and sometimes they dont. anyone have any ideas on this flag problem?

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I have the Denon 3801 and never have experienced a dropout on DVD. I have though on Satellite, but it was the broadcast....

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I too have a 3802 and have NEVER had any dropouts on any discs that were the fault of the 3802 (I run mine as 5.1.) However, I did have to replace my early generation DVD player because it started having trouble with some discs...

7. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

well like i said chuck, its only happened on a couple of the discs that ive watched out of maybe 200, so its highly possible that you just havent watched one that would cause it to do that. i started the thread due to dolby's faq on their site where they talk about the dropouts being their problem.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Don: In 3 cases, people were having drop-outs every few minutes and the problem was solved by changing their coaxial-digital cable. They were using audio cables by mistake, or a poorly-made cable.

Even the correct cable, bent at a sharp 90 degrees can have it's impedence change. And over time, your cables sag and bend.

So check your coaxial-digital cable. Make sure it comes out of your DVD player in a loose curve and goes into your receiver the same way. Then see if you still have drop-out problems.

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Never happened with my 3802 on any movies.

10. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

11. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

i am using a toslink optical cable. could this have the same problem? also, like i said it only happens once in a while, not consistently. could it still be the cable?

12. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

well, ive replaced my cheaper cable with a 3 ft monster cable optical cable that i had on my better stereo system. does anyone think this will help, vs. the 6 ft recoton cable i was using?

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

14. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

well, i just watched insomnia and had at least 5 dropouts during the middle of the movie. im using the monster optical cable, so i dont think its the cable. im using a toshiba 4700 dvd player. noone else has had problems wiht the 3802 dropping out in DD mode, so i doubt its my decoder in my 3802. yet, it would seem that the dvd player just passes the digital signal, so how could it possibly be that? ive heard the dropouts the worst on two dvds i got from the library (one of which is insomnia). the dvds had a few marks on them but nothing that should make it bad, and there were no video problems. is it possible that my dvd player is causing the dropouts somehow?

15. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I am having DTS dropouts with my 3-month old 3802. But no DD dropouts.

16. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

robert, i only have a problem with ONE disk i own, thats a dokken music video dvd, and that doesnt always happen. all other dvds i have play fine. its only the library ones with small blemishes, but they dont look bad enough to cause a problem. i have had no problems at all with dts.

17. Dan Kaps

Dan Kaps Extra

My 4700 also suffered DD dropouts (through both coaxial and optical) with my Outlaw 1050. I've since replaced it with a Panny RP82 and haven't had any dropouts since.

(Also didn't have problems with an older Toshiba that the 4700 replaced)

I would bet that it's your player. Do you/did you have any other player? PS2 or XBOX maybe that you could test with?

18. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

thanks dan. i will probably be replacing my unit soon with a sacd/dvd-audio player. im eyeing the pioneer elite one that is 400 or the onkyo that is 800. i really like the onkyo layout, especially the menu and control buttons on the front panel. i guess the genius engineers at pioneer think that people want to use the remote for everything. thats one thing i like about my 4700, is the menu and control buttons on the front panel.