Question on crossovers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

If you have a sub and a THX preamp, activate the 80hz xover setting/button on the preamp, what frequency do you set your sub for? I've heard that you should use the highest setting and let the preamp do the work...I don't quite get this. Help please. My mains can go to 35hz or so (BP 30's) but I think setting small is better sounding to me, what about the sub though? thanks again

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Keir;
    Here's why people say you should turn the crossover setting on your sub all the way up:
    Basically, when the crossover on your pre-amp kicks in at 80Hz, it begins to send information to your subwoofer. At the same time, the signal getting sent to your speakers begins to roll off, until they cut out completely. Once they do that, your sub takes over, and handles everything at the bottom of the sound spectrum.
    Now, let's say that you set the crossover on your sub to its lowest setting... say, 40Hz just as an example. The receiver will do what it did before. That is, it will begin to send your subwoofer a signal at 80Hz and rolloff the sound coming from your speakers. However, if you have set your sub to not be active until it receives a signal of 40Hz, you'll notice that the volume of all sound in the 80 to 40Hz range is kind of weak. Even worse, there could be a gap in the sound spectrum if your speakers aren't prepared to go that deep! You definitely don't want that.
    Conversely, if you set the crossover on the sub to its highest point--for instance, 160Hz--you don't have to worry about any gaps in the sound spectrum. As before, your receiver will begin sending information to your sub at 80Hz. If you turn up the crossover setting on the sub to its highest point, you know that it will be reproducing that 80Hz signal because it is set to be much higher than that.
    Basically, its a safeguard to ensure that you don't have any such gaps in your system. Hope that answers your question!
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks J Fo.! I kinda thought that was the deal..but unsure my mains can go pretty low. I do like them at a small setting though for sure. Now for another question, If I set it to say 160hz, won't my mains produce much tighter bass around 40-80hz than a sub? Is that the mid bass area?