What's new

Question on building risers... (1 Viewer)

Mike Camm

Agent
Hey guys ... anyone have any helpful ideas for me on building risers.. ?

Im just having trouble figuring out what to do to make them more solid and sound proof.

I am going over Terrazzo subfloors.. which might as well be marbel...unfortunately.. thx florida and your crummy soil !

Im just trying to figure out.. if I should put carpet down first..over the Terrazzo floor or maybe put down the #30 builders felt first. then build the risers ?

Or just use a nice 1/4 bead of silicone caulk on the bottom of the risers to do that "floating" thing over the Terrazzo.. and then fill between with insulation.. ?

How many sheets of plywood should I put on top ? And should I use that #30 buidlers felt between all points of wood touching wood ..

Any thoughts anyone... that the part that I am on now and I just cant make up my mind what is the best route to go?

Thanks all
Mike C

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Wow, Mike...

You're putting a lot of thought into this :D . You can simply build risers on the floor and carpet the room and risers as one. Sturdy framing with 3/4 plywood or 1" MDF should be fine if you stick to 16" or 24" 0C. Typically risers are so heavy (especially with chairs/couches on top) that buzzes and rattles are not a problem. Probably good to anchor it to the floor just in case. If you're really concerned, you can glue and screw all joints. You can also stuff fiberglass inside to mitigate any cavity resonances.

I decided to have my riser double as a subwoofer/bass shaker as you can see here It's glued-and-screwed 1" MDF with no real "framing" but lots of bracing, especially between the large top and bottom panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks