Question on best Flat Screen for ~$3000

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian.H, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Brian.H

Brian.H Auditioning

A friend of mine is looking to put a 50 inch Plasma (or I suppose LCD) TV in his bar. He has room to go bigger but I think he's capped his budget at $3k and for some reason has settled on the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK. I'm not sure why but he seems to think this is one of the higher quality displays out there - don't know how much truth there is to that.

My question is should LCD be considered instead, if so why?

Is there a better TV with more bang for the buck that is 50" or larger that he can get for aproximately $3,000 shipped (this particular panasonic can be had for just about exactly $3000 even).

If you can think of any other points that should be considered please let me know. Thanks!

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

You will not be able to get a true LCD because they presently top out at 37 inches or so. AT 50" you could get either a rear projection LCD or even a DLP for less than 3K. You could conceivably get a 60" LCD/DLP. I have a Sony R.P.LCD that I paid $3,400 for last year and I love it. If he wants to be able to hang it on a wall, however, the plasma would be the way to go, but for "bang for the buck" either the R.P. LCD or DLP.

3. Brian.H

Brian.H Auditioning

It has to be hung on the wall. So given that has he made a good choice? Thanks.

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yes, I would say he made the right choice unless there was a recess that would accomodate the 17 inches or so that a RP LCD would take up.
    He might want to consider an EDTV plasma that would not quite be full HDTV resolution but would be ok over a bar where you would not be doing critical veiwing anyway. This would save some bucks and allow him to get a larger display. Like I always say: The possibilites are endless until you make the decision, then be happy with the decision.