Question on analog output options for Denon DVD 1600

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KendallT, Dec 31, 2002.

1. KendallT

KendallT Agent

In preparation for the arrival my new Denon DVD-1600 and 3803 AVR combo I'm trying to make sue I have the cabling figured out ahead of time.

My question is this: Will 2-channel CD audio only be output throught the 2-channel out or is it also covered by the LR portions of the 6 channel analog out for DVD-A? Note, I plan on using the 1600 as a standard CD player as well as DVD-A and DVD-V (moving the old Denon CD player into the den).

I'd like to minimize the amount of cables and if the DVD-A outputs will also work for 2-channel CD's then I won't have to cable the 2-channel out as well. I know I could also rely on the digital out for the CD's but I hear there might be some sonic advantages to keep it on the analog side.

Any responses would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -Ken

2. JonStern

JonStern Agent

I have the 3803 and a Sony 222 SACD player which sends its 2 channel outs to the L/R portions of the 6 channel outputs. Regarding the 1600, have you tried looking at the online manual (I just tried but the Denon site seems very slow):
    http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD1600%20DFU.pdf

3. KendallT

KendallT Agent

Yeah, I've downloaded and read it over but it never really answers the question. It is a slightly older manual as it doesn't depict the component video outputs now on the 1600 but I doubt the description on the audio outputs would have changed.

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish more of the manufacturer's would put their manuals online, it's a great help.

4. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

The 2 channel outs and the Fronts on the 6 channel outs play the same thing. If you play a 2 channel source, whether it be DVD-A or CD, it will be played through both the 2 channel and 6 channel outputs. I've switched cables between the two and I can't hear any difference.

5. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

You will still have to have all 8 cables without switching them physically on the receiver every time you go from 2 channel to multi channel. The receiver inputs won't pull the signal from the 2 channel stereo L/R to fill in the F-L/R of the multi channel input.
    On my DVD-1600 I have 9 cables coming from it to my Denon 5800 receiver: 2 for L/R stereo, 6 for multi-channel and 1 optical for DD/DTS/PCM. WIthout all of them I would be switching cables from one format to another.
    Anyone need the web address for www.bettercables.com ? [​IMG]

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Paul: