What's new

Question: Mixing JBL northridge with older JBL speakers (1 Viewer)

ChuckEA

Auditioning
Some what of a newbie and need some advice about the possibility of using older JBL speakers with the newer Northridge series. Would like to use my old (approx 13 yrs) LX-44s for my main left and right channels with the EC 25 (or EC35) for center, E20 for surrounds, and E150P for subwoofer. I've read that matching the timbre of the front channels is critical to achieve proper surround. Would I better off replacing the LX44s and going with a matched set for all the satellites? Since budget is an issue , if I went with the matched set I would have to settle for much smaller front channel speakers than the LX44s. I'm planning to get a Yamaha HTR-4790 so I'm wondering if the YPAO feature would provide enough adjustment to match the LX44s to the EC25/EC35 center channel. Also, I'll be using the system for both HT and music and my room is 17' x 18' with 18' ceiling so would also like opinions if this system will be adequate for this space. Appreciate any help y'all can provide.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
If the LX-44's have a titanium laminate dome tweeter then you will be close. It will not be a perfect match but try it out.

I would get the EC35 center though. For not much more money it is a big upgrade over the 25-added 3" mid range and larger enclosure.

I use the EC35 with S38II's for mains. These work very well together. Your center provides upwards of 60% of the sound in HT. Don't skimp there.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yes, get the EC35. Crisp, defined sound with the added mid-range that the EC25 does not have. I had the EC25 and exchanged it for the 35 and haven't looked back.

Also, I had the E20s and the E150p too. Exchanged both of them for the E30s and the E250p and also haven't looked back. The E150p is too small IMO to produce a deep, clean rumble: it sounds like it is working too hard and makes a "cracking" sound at high levels. And especially in a room the size you are describing. And the E30s can be had at some places cheaper than the E20s. There's one place online (an authorized JBL online retailer) where you can get a pair of E30s for $150, so I bought four for my rear and back surrounds. The E20s suffered the same fate as the E150p, and also the fact that they are rear-ported and the E30s are front-ported made my decision easy since my rear speakers have to sit against the back wall.

YMMV.

ChuckEA

Auditioning
Thanks guys. Guess I'll bump things up to a pair of E30s, EC35, and E250P and see how that sounds with the LX44s (which BTW have a pure titanium dome as opposed to a laminate) There goes the budget! :)

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck:

And after all of that if you think the LX44s dont mesh well you may just want to go to the E90s or E100s for the front mains. Use the older ones for like a basement or bedroom instead.

I strongly second getting the EC35 and E250P instead of the smaller models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks