Question: Is the WIslon XS the largest/loudest subwoofer built today?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I wonder how many SVS subs it would take to match it in SPL/HZ?? Anyone ever wonder the same thing? Are subs built like this used in commercial theaters?

2. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well the XS doesn't offer any real "value" per say, you could probably get more SPL (although 112db+ at 16Hz isn't very wimpy) out of other companies subs for less money. But that thing is a work of art, and certainly will make a statement in a room (providing you have a big enough room). SQ wise, I'm sure it's pretty far up the scale.
    A good review of it is here http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/wilson_xs_sub.htm
    Andrew

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Perhaps the Krell Master Reference Subwoofer would exceed the Wilson, but I don't know.

They rate the MRS at [email protected], but no rating for 16Hz.

Regards,

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

I think the Bose subwoofer outperforms the XS.
    [​IMG]
    Larry

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The loudest single enclosure commercial design I've seen is the ContraBass. This excludes horn-loaded designs. As for the Wilson, it's strange that they underported it (considering the size of the overall product). As Jack mentioned, there are many DIY designs that would easily beat the Krell or XS...

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I'd put a dual CS_U/S1000 package up against the wilson or the krell anyday of the week.
    As far as ultimate woofage...Hsu has that 80k multiple 18" system available...his next sale might be the first...but it sounds cool [​IMG]
    TV

7. Tony Stirling

Tony Stirling Stunt Coordinator

The XS is scary. I heard that someone cracked the foundation of thier house with one that hadn't been calibrated yet! Don't know how reliable that story is, but it came from an installer that knew what he was talking about. Whatever. It was humorous (except, perhaps, to the person who miused it!!)... whatever...

tony