What's new

Question: Is the WIslon XS the largest/loudest subwoofer built today? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
I wonder how many SVS subs it would take to match it in SPL/HZ?? Anyone ever wonder the same thing? Are subs built like this used in commercial theaters?

AjayM

Screenwriter
Well the XS doesn't offer any real "value" per say, you could probably get more SPL (although 112db+ at 16Hz isn't very wimpy) out of other companies subs for less money. But that thing is a work of art, and certainly will make a statement in a room (providing you have a big enough room). SQ wise, I'm sure it's pretty far up the scale.
A good review of it is here http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/wilson_xs_sub.htm
Andrew

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I can't guess at how many SVS (although it would be much less $$$), but it would make an interesting DIY goal. I'd be pretty confident in two big tubes using Blueprint 1803's, big ports, a Crown K2 (or an even bigger QSC), and a Symetrix 551 eq giving it a good run at a tiny fraction of the price.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the Krell Master Reference Subwoofer would exceed the Wilson, but I don't know.

They rate the MRS at 120dB@20Hz, but no rating for 16Hz.

Regards,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Now there's a Battle of the Titans. :) I'd think, though, that the ported Aura/Seismic 18's of the Wilson would have a distinct advantage in output over the sealed 15" TC15's of the Krell. Just an assumption, obviously.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The loudest single enclosure commercial design I've seen is the ContraBass. This excludes horn-loaded designs. As for the Wilson, it's strange that they underported it (considering the size of the overall product). As Jack mentioned, there are many DIY designs that would easily beat the Krell or XS...

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As for the Wilson, it's strange that they underported it (considering the size of the overall product).
That never surprises me anymore . ;) In a less rarified region, even the ~$4000 Ariel SW12 just uses the ubiquitous $15 4" flared Aeroport.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'd put a dual CS_U/S1000 package up against the wilson or the krell anyday of the week.
As far as ultimate woofage...Hsu has that 80k multiple 18" system available...his next sale might be the first...but it sounds cool :)
TV

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
The XS is scary. I heard that someone cracked the foundation of thier house with one that hadn't been calibrated yet! Don't know how reliable that story is, but it came from an installer that knew what he was talking about. Whatever. It was humorous (except, perhaps, to the person who miused it!!)... whatever...

tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks