What's new

Question: Is it worth getting the extra surround back channel! (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Like what the topic says. Is it worth getting the 6.1 setup and extra speaker in the back, does it make that much of a difference in sound. Please need feedback, I dont wanna waste my money.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hi Scott.
It's one of those things that is subtle in some cases and truly adds to the movie experience in others.
When it's there you may take it for granted but once it's gone you will definitely notice it's absence.
I believe it truly helps create an enveloping soundfield. Without I feel like there is a gap in soundfield behind me.
I'll never go back to 5.1.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
When it's there you may take it for granted but once it's gone you will definitely notice it's absence.
I believe it truly helps create an enveloping soundfield. Without I feel like there is a gap in soundfield behind me.
I'll never go back to 5.1.
Wow. I could write exactly the same thing. I agree 100%!
(BTW, I am using a DIY, "homebrew" 6.1 set up.)
------------------

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I think it's worth it.... There's are few dvd's where I find 2 (EX) back speakers to be extremely noticeable. Gladiator and Phantom Menace to name a few.
In Gladiator, when the guys swings the Ball and Chain, you here a true circular swing around your sound stage....
Though my EX setup is not Discrete, it still sounds damn good!!! Oh Well, I can live without the 3 or 4 discrete DTS titles
biggrin.gif

This is just one of many I can name, where you sound stage would benefit in the rear....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I also agree. I added two back center speakers with a Denon 3802. I'd say that it was in the top 2 or 3 upgrades I've made. They seem to have been the missing piece & have really picked up the performance of my dipole surrounds. They have closed a gap in my surround sound.
------------------
HT Pic's

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I just thought I would throw in another point of view(not necessarily mine) but I have read threads and magazine articles where people claim that if your left and right surrounds are of good quality and are "OPTIMALLY" positioned that the imaging can actually create a "phantom" rear center on 6.1 soundtracks, and some have said they actually prefer it this way.
I personally don't know if there is enough information in the 2 surrounds(assuming it's a discrete 6.1) for this to be as effective as having a rear center.
What do you think? I would like to know.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Would someone please explain the reason for the 'split' rear channel?
Is it because the ear may not get enough 'direction information' if the sound is DIRECTLY behind? That putting the same sound a bit to each side allows one's 2 ears to get better information that the sound IS behind?
[Edited last by Bill Turetsky on November 08, 2001 at 08:23 AM]

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Bill I ended up trying and staying with 2 centre rear speakers. One made the rear soundfield too localized. Using 2 and setting them equidistant from the rear surrounds worked better for me.
------------------
MyHTSetup

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
I have heard that some research shows that when a sound is DIRECTLY behind you, there is sometimes a phantom shift of the sound to the front (something to do with how our ears were "designed" :)). So have two speakers eliminates the potential for that effect.
And as someone else said, one speaker is more easily localized. Blind listening tests have shown that two are always preferred to one (There is a lengthy discussion of this on the net that also discusses the differences of direct rear-centers vs dipole rear-centers).

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Scott - you're right. I did suffer from the phantom centre channel problem as well using only 1 speaker.
------------------
MyHTSetup

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Sean:
I believe that an effective "phantom" speaker phenomenon relies on the listener being seated in the so-called sweet spot. If the intent of your home theater is to share the theater experience with others, then having real speakers will greatly improve listening enjoyment for everyone. Increasing the number of real speakers increases the size of the effective listening area.
From my personal experience I never noticed any phantom rear speakers with a 5.1 arrangement. Now with multiple speakers in the rear the effect is very noticable.
On a side note, I noticed the greatest rear effects (with real speakers)on the movie Saving Private Ryan, which had very aggressive surround channels, but was not a Dolby Surround EX movie.
Larry
------------------
Larry's Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks