Question: Is it worth getting the extra surround back channel!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Nov 7, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

Like what the topic says. Is it worth getting the 6.1 setup and extra speaker in the back, does it make that much of a difference in sound. Please need feedback, I dont wanna waste my money.

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Hi Scott.
    It's one of those things that is subtle in some cases and truly adds to the movie experience in others.
    When it's there you may take it for granted but once it's gone you will definitely notice it's absence.
    I believe it truly helps create an enveloping soundfield. Without I feel like there is a gap in soundfield behind me.
    I'll never go back to 5.1.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I think it's worth it.... There's are few dvd's where I find 2 (EX) back speakers to be extremely noticeable. Gladiator and Phantom Menace to name a few.
    In Gladiator, when the guys swings the Ball and Chain, you here a true circular swing around your sound stage....
    Though my EX setup is not Discrete, it still sounds damn good!!! Oh Well, I can live without the 3 or 4 discrete DTS titles [​IMG]
    This is just one of many I can name, where you sound stage would benefit in the rear....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I also agree. I added two back center speakers with a Denon 3802. I'd say that it was in the top 2 or 3 upgrades I've made. They seem to have been the missing piece & have really picked up the performance of my dipole surrounds. They have closed a gap in my surround sound.
    ------------------
    HT Pic's

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I just thought I would throw in another point of view(not necessarily mine) but I have read threads and magazine articles where people claim that if your left and right surrounds are of good quality and are "OPTIMALLY" positioned that the imaging can actually create a "phantom" rear center on 6.1 soundtracks, and some have said they actually prefer it this way.
    I personally don't know if there is enough information in the 2 surrounds(assuming it's a discrete 6.1) for this to be as effective as having a rear center.
    What do you think? I would like to know.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

7. Bill Turetsky

Would someone please explain the reason for the 'split' rear channel?
    Is it because the ear may not get enough 'direction information' if the sound is DIRECTLY behind? That putting the same sound a bit to each side allows one's 2 ears to get better information that the sound IS behind?
    [Edited last by Bill Turetsky on November 08, 2001 at 08:23 AM]

8. Bill Turetsky

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Bill I ended up trying and staying with 2 centre rear speakers. One made the rear soundfield too localized. Using 2 and setting them equidistant from the rear surrounds worked better for me.
    ------------------
    MyHTSetup

10. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    I have heard that some research shows that when a sound is DIRECTLY behind you, there is sometimes a phantom shift of the sound to the front (something to do with how our ears were "designed" [​IMG]). So have two speakers eliminates the potential for that effect.
    And as someone else said, one speaker is more easily localized. Blind listening tests have shown that two are always preferred to one (There is a lengthy discussion of this on the net that also discusses the differences of direct rear-centers vs dipole rear-centers).

11. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Scott - you're right. I did suffer from the phantom centre channel problem as well using only 1 speaker.
    ------------------
    MyHTSetup

12. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator