Question... I just bought a JVC SA602 (Multi-Code)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarcoBiscotti, Oct 13, 2003.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I recieved it last week and have been thoroughly satisfied by it's performance so far. All my "other region" dvd's played to perfection without any flaws or minor setbacks, I was very pleased.

Than, today, as I was watching my R1 "Back To The Future" disc (from the trilogy set), 2 entire chapters skipped and couldn't be read! Now I am concerned. I've never had a problem playing these dvd's before on any other units. They even played flawlessly on my crappy PS2, and that was the first issue (I bought it when it first came out so the chips weren't updated)!!!

What is the problem and why were parts of this disc unreadable? The unit is brand new, everything else played fine, the dvd is pristine and mint condition... WHYYY???

Is this an indication that perhaps, other dvd's might not be playable as well on this unit? It's supposed to play all regional codes without question, I'd assume region 1 big budget studio releases would be the least of my concerns!!

Can somebody please offer insight and explain what is going on here? Did I recieve a faulty player, should I send back the unit? Is it normal for most players to experience some sort of compatibility flaws with certain discs?

I'm really dissapointed as I'd assumed that I had gotten such a great set-up with the new player... please tell me what to do!

Thanks.

- Marco.

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

UP

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Any help?

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I recall that there is a discussion about BTTF DVD and the return and re-issue of the batch. It may not be the player. Check it out in the Software section of the forum.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Jerome, but that seems to be referencing the framing errors in BTTF 2 & 3. This is an entirely different situation and so far bears no effect on Vol. 2 & 3 of my box set.

I am not too conerned about the mis-framing as I don't even notice it, so that's pretty trivial for me. My problem is the actual playback. I don't think the disc would be at fault considering it played flawlessly on my PS2 only weeks back, and for those of you who have attmepted to watch dvd's on your Playstations, you must know what a stressful task that is.

For some reason though, 2 entire scenes are unreadable on my new JVC player. Perhaps the region-hacked chip is to blame, could it be a technical error in formatting the unit? I really have no idea what to do and given that I have only experienced playback so far on this unit and my Playstation, I am beginning to wonder whether all dvd players are succeptible to this sort of error and whether this isn't uncommon? If that's the case, than this is just ridiculous!

I'm really frustrated over this!

[​IMG]

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

^UP^

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

[​IMG]

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]