Question: How to EX/ES system owners play their 5.1 Software?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I was just wondering how people with the extra speaker played 5.1 and 6.1 Encoded material?

For example:

Movies that aren't properly flagged but do state they are EX/ES, I would assume you force your system into DD-EX or DTS-ES mode. I think Monsters Inc. may be an example of this...

For a 5.1 movie like Saving Private Ryan or The Matrix, do you always select EX/EX mode? Do you play with 5.1 vs ES/EX to see which sounds better? Or, does non EX/ES encoded material usually sound better as 5.1?

Thanks for any opinions or experience as I've just started playing my new Marantz 6300 and now have a rear-center speaker.

BTW I would think this belongs in Software not in the Hardware... but who knows...

Miles

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I moved it to the receiver/processor area because this is more of a hardware issue, and should get more input (plus there's a re-direct from the software area too).

3. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I typically find the THX Ultra2 processing on my AVM 20 provides a more enveloping soundstage with 5.1 material, so yes, I pretty much always use the rear center speakers (I have two). Sounds that are supposed to be coming from the rear center only are also a bit more anchored to the rear, rather than being too floaty.

I've actually read that DTS recommends you always turn on DTS-ES matrix with their 5.1 soundtracks.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I play it by ear — some titles get too "rear-center" heave in EX mode. The most recent example was Predator 2 , where I just couldn't stand the EX processing. This all applies to Dolby, I haven't tried with DTS yet.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have also been using the THX Ultra 2 processing on most 5.1 source material. I have yet to find a soundtrack that has been too "rear center" oriented in this mode.

6. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

My Rotel 1066 has a proprietary processing mode to create a center back channel for 5.1 sources. I prefer this mode over DD-EX for 5.1 sources because it doesn't have the tendency to collapse the rear soundstage to the center back the way that DD-EX processing does on 5.1 sources. RS processing sounds much better IMHO. (Although for true EX soundtracks I'll use DD-EX since it works better for those).

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Rotel has xS modes, and the Outlaw 950 that I have, has mostly equivalent CES modes. Both pre/pros use the same Cirrus DSP engine. The Rotel supposedly puts out non-mono rears, but you only get mono for the 950.

So for marked DTS-ES and DD EX movies, I use DTS-ES and DD EX, but for all other "std" DD/DTS soundtracks, I use the CES version which gives me 7.1 playback. There are movies out there that I know are 6.1 (Pitch Black for example), that aren't marked anywhere on the DVD itself.

8. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I have 7.1 EX/ES set up. My receiver does an excellent job a matrixing the back surrounds on 5.1 material. On 6.1 it plays the 6th channel out of the 2 back speakers, which IMO sounds better then 1 back channel with 6.1 material. So I all ways leave the EX/ES on.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I always leave EX or ES turned on, have yet to find a 5.1 source that doesn't sound better this way (but I don't have Predator 2).

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I leave my rear centers on, as well. I haven't yet come across a DVD that didn't sound better that way.

DJ

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Those of you who like to use 6/7.1 implementation of 5.1 movies,should play the Dolby trailer called "canyon",and post what you think of the "effect".

12. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

I think it heavily depends on your setup.
    I have found that generally, in a 6.1 setup where the "side surrounds" are in fact positioned more towards the rear (my setup, temporarily), non-EX/ES sources sound too rear-centered when matrix processing is applied. it may also be related to the fact that rear center speaker is much closer than the other two, however I have calibrated it.

But I tried briefly playing with the positioning of my speakers, and using 4 speakers in the back in a proper "7.1" setup with the side surrounds actually positioned to the sides, "7.1" extracted from 5.1 sounds very good, much better than in a 6.1 setup, but curiously, not that much better than in a conventional 5.1 setup.

It will also depend on the speaker type you are using, most likely. Using a dipole speaker in the rear center position would most likely result in a lot less "rear-centering" since the sound coming from it would be more diffuse. I have not tried that, however, so I can't know for sure.

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I leave EX/ES on all the time, because my side surrounds are only about a foot behind the listening position. The rear center really fills the space and gives it a more cohesive rear soundstage. But it's more a result of the strange room I'm dealing with, so your mileage may vary.