What's new

Question hooking AVR up to separate amp (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Never have done this before. My TX-SR805 blew it's front left channel, and will cost $250 to repair so I'm not going to do it. I am going to connect a 100W x 2 Harman Kardon amplifer to the two main channels and use it as a pre-pro. I presume I can do that correct? And then use the remaining 5 channels (center, and 4 surrounds) through the Onkyo receiver in a 7.1 configuration?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you can do this...
In one of two ways...
If the HK has a pre-in/pre-out jumper...remove it and simply run pre-out from the Onk into the pre-in.
If it does NOT have a pre-in/out jumper...run the pre-out of the Onk in to a tape input(anything but phono) and you'll get more or less the same result...but you'll have to adjust the volume on the HK...
neither way is wrong...but the pre-in/out jumper, if you got it, is preferred.
Edit: I just realized you wrote amplifier, not receiver...so, there are no jumpers...just hook it up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
People often times call a receiver an amp. that's why we like model numbers around here so much :) .
BTW, if you only had a 5.1 setup you could have probably set the receiver to bi-amp the fronts and connect the front two speakers to the Surround Back channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks