Question from WS tv newbie....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Aug 21, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I will be getting a Toshiba 65hdx82 rptv. It is widescreen. I Usually watch tv off a dishnetwork reciever and also dvd's. What is the best way to view these? I know there are different ways of viewing each.

Thanks!

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I own a 34" widescreen Toshiba, so I'd assume the stretch modes are the same. The default mode is Normal, which is 4:3 fullscreen with grey bars on the sides for regular TV-watching and full-screen movies. Theater-wide 2 is used for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's, and Full for anamorphic DVD's. Personally, I can't stand watching TV stretched, so someone else will have to chime in with that viewing mode.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there, Todd.

By saying "best way to view these" are you referring to the interconnects and which inputs to use on the Toshiba? Or are you referring to viewing modes and basic menu settings for the display?

Thanks!

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Jack,
    Actually I was asking about viewing modes. But, your suggestions for connections and menu settings would also be appreciated. I am assuming I will be using my s-video connection from my dish receiver and the tv. And component video from my dvd player and tv.

Thanks!

5. Jack Briggs

Well, then, if you have a prog-scan DVD player, make sure to connect the thing directly to the display via the prog-scan component-video inputs. Go into the DVD player's setup menu and select "16:9." Also, make sure the DVD player's prog-scan output is enabled.

For your satellite receiver, use the S-video output and connect directly to one of the S-video inputs on the back of the set.

Do you want to watch high-def programming? If so, then you need to start thinking about digital set-top boxes.

On the Toshiba itself, select the "Warm" color-temp setting, as this one corresponds the closest to the D6,500 standard. As for picture mode, select "Movie."

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Toshiba automatically locks into "wide" mode when it receives a progressive-scan image, so check into that (because you want to see 1.33:1 movies in their correct geometry, which means windowboxing bars to the sides of the image).

As for individual picture settings, that's between you and AVIA (or Video Essentials.

Let us know if we may help further.

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Toshiba widescreen rptvs don't lock into Full with progressive input. Nor do Sony, Hitachi, current Pioneer, Mits.

I think Panasonics might, not sure.

8. Jack Briggs

The situation appears to be improving across the board. That is good. At this stage, all the manufacturers should be addressing the criticisms voiced in the home-theater magazines and online media. An expensive, HD-capable display should incorporate the very basics in terms of inputs--meaning both standard and high-def component inputs. And the option should always exist for viewing a 4:3-framed prog-scan DVD signal properly.