What's new

Question for you all... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
OK, here is what I'm thinking of doing. Here is my setup as of now.

Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitors

Center: Kenwood HTB 401

Rears: Kenwood HTB 401

Sub: Sony WM 40

Receiver: Kenwood 208

Here is my dilema, I calibrated my HT yesterday using the S&V disk just so everything would be calibrated. The one problem I have is obviously the front soundstage. The mini monitors don't go real well with the Kenwood. It sounds pretty awful actually, you can really tell a difference in the sound quality of the mini's as compared to the Kenwood when a sound pans through the front soundstage. Anyway, I'm in college and I don't have $300 to spend on a CC-370, so I was thinking about finding 1 mini monitor to use as my center channel so I would have a seamless front soundstage. Is this ok? Does anybody think this is a bad idea? I appreciate your alls input.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
If you are sitting on-axis (ie, in the 'sweet spot') the center channel isn't completely necessary. Try just turning on the 'phantom center' option on your receiver. Unfortunately, a pair of shielded Minis is ~$400, so you don't end up saving much over a shielded CC-370 ($300 in some places vs. $200 for 1/2 of the Mini pair).

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I second testing your system without the center channel. That's how I have my system set up and I prefer it over one with a center channel speaker.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The only problem with that is my receiver doesn't have a "phantom" setting for the center channel.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
That isn't possible. At the very least you should have an option that says "Center - Yes/No" choose No and it does the phantom calcs.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
OK, I see. I just turned the center channel to off. I was confused because of the phantom thing. Now the sound is downmixed to the main speakers. This does help a little. The dialogue is much better now. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks