Question for Yamaha htr5590 or rcv1300 owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Lee, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I just got a Yamaha HTR5590 for Christmas from my wife. It is replacing my old Pro-logic Pioneer. I listened to it in the stores before I bought it, but never did a side by side comparison to my old Pioneer until I got it home. I was a little disappointed in the bass output compared to the pioneer. I do not have a powered subwoofer yet. In my old setup I ran an unpowered sub off the "b" speaker outputs. I realize this isn't a real good way to do it, but it worked for the old system. I tried doing the exact same setup and several other setups to the Yamaha and it is no where close to the same bass output. I messed with the speakers size settings and the LFE adjustments, but nothing to satisfy my floor-shaking needs. I am going to get a powered sub, I just want something to get me by until then. Do you guys have any ideas? Did I miss anything? Or is it just that the pioneer has that "Boomy" bass and the Yamaha is "Bright sounding"?

Thanks

Frank

2. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Frank - my understanding is that for this model, and in fact for most A/V receivers at this price level, the manufacturers almost "expect" a person to use a powered sub. So, they don't put any money, time, or "space" in the receiver componentry for sub amplication. Basically, manufacturer's are interested in getting 5 (or 6 or 7) channels of amplication into a unit with the lowest cost possible. To have to add another channel of amplification for just the bass would add more $$ to the unit.

As to why you are not getting bass from the B speakers on the Yamaha, my guess would be (I don't own this receiver) that when using the 6 main channels of amplication in a regular DD or DTS set-up, there isn't any power left to push the B speakers. If this is the case, you would notice that, when you turn the B speakers on, some power is drawn away from other speakers (some receivers only let you run the main L/R A speakers when you turn on the B speakers, cause there isn't enough power to push the 6.1 + b channels).

Or, it could be that the speakers in your set-up are set to "small" meaning that they are only receiving sound frequencies above 90 Hz. Thus, the true earth-shaking frequencues (

3. Frank Lee

Yeah, I think you are right. I have my speakers set to large. I thought about using my old receiver to power the sub, but it is being utilized for music upstairs now. I think I will just wait to get a powered sub. I think that would be the cleanest, most logical solution. It just surprises me that my old $250 pioneer puts out way more power for bass then this Yamaha...oh well!

Thanks

4. Jack_V

Jack_V Extra

I had the same unit from a boxing day sale, and found I too liked my old Sherwood stereo reciever better for music. The old receiver had much more punch.

I also found the 5590's pitch too much on the high side.

I returned the 5590 and got a Harmon Kardon 525, it was more money, but has more power, and a warmer sound. The power supply is bigger in the 525.

Funny all things considered, if I use my PC to output 5.1 analog channels, I think I'd be better off with 3 old Sherwoods to power the speakers. It would be alot cheaper as well.

Maybe we have just grown accustomed to the old sound.

I'm going to give the HK a week to so to try out.

5. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

6. Frank Lee

Other then the bass, I really like the way the Yamaha sounds. I had planned on getting a powered sub anyway, so it doesn't bother me a lot. I am going to stick with the Yamaha. My wife got a real good deal on it thru a friendly BestBuy employee.

Frank

7. Mark.Louis

Frank - I too liked the 5590 sound...actually it was the 5590 equivalent, the RX-V1300, that I listened to and really liked...however, I couldn't get my local shop to come down in price on this model, and since Yamaha won't honor the warranty on a RX-V receiver sold on the Internet, I went the H/K route. I didn't get the 5590 because it lacked full set of pre-outs (unlike the RX-V 1300), a marketing mistake I have emailed Yamaha about.

HAve fun with the new receiver.

8. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello Mark,

How do you like the 1300? I am also thinking of getting this unit, what do you think about?

Thanks
    Jeff

9. Mark.Louis

Jeff - I didn't get the RX-V1300 because I couldn't get my local shop to budge on the $799 list price. But I did audition it extensively. I thought that it had ample power, and when used in two channel and five channel stereo, it was incredibly, incredibly detailed.

I listened to the Eagles' live acoustical version of Hotel California, and I swear I could hear the guitarists' plectrums scratching against the guitar strings. IMO this very detailed presentation is what leads some to say the Yamaha was bright. For me, it certainly had enough bass. But, I didn't get it because of $$. But you certainly can't do wrong with this receiver...good name, good sound, and good reliability.

I ended up buying a Harman Kardon AVR 520 which I am gaga about. The first DVD I played was Dave Matthew's collection of music videos. My wife, who was against any further Av purchases, came in from her office and watched about 5 videos, being amazed at how good the sound was. I am sure you will see the same effects with the RX-V1300.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer