What's new

Question for Win XP Pro Gurus?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi I bought XP Pro bout a month ago and it was a clean install I chose FAT 32 for my HD. About 2 weeks ltr I converted to NTFS, now Ive been told doing it this way makes my computer run slower than it was originally with the FAT 32. Im really not wanting to reformat and install again is it really gonna be noticably faster if I do a clean install and choose NTFS?? THNX!! ;)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
When you convert - I think - the allocation unit size is higher than if you format a new NTFS partition.

I doubt very much any speed difference would be noticeable - not unless you're running a very slow drive.

Put it another way - did you notice any difference in the speed when you converted from FAT32? Unless it got noticeably slower, you have nothing to worry about.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It shouldn't make any difference. I haven't noticed any difference myself.

Although, it is possible that if the drive was close to being full in FAT32, and then you convert to NTFS, there could be a slowdown, but only because of fragmentation.

It really shouldn't be much of an issue though.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Is the computer really running slower, or have you just been told that NTFS slows it down?

NTFS should not be any slower than FAT32 provided you have enough RAM in the machine (at least 256MB).

Rather than reinstalling, I suggest you do the following...

1) Increase RAM to at least 256MB.
2) Uninstall any unneeded programs.
3) Run virus and spyware scans, and remove any nasties.
4) Defragment your hard disk.
5) Make sure you are using the bus-mastering IDE driver for your hard drive (unless of course it is a SCSI device).

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
THNX alot for the replies. I was told it would be faster to convert to NTFS on installation I havent noticed it being any slower now after converting to NTFS. I just defraged.

I currently have 768 mb ram!!

Make sure you are using the bus-mastering IDE driver for your hard drive (unless of course it is a SCSI device).
can you tell me how I would now if Im using the bus mastering IDE driver for my HD. its not SCSI!! THNX

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
NTFS can have a negative effect on older slow computers it certainly did on my old P-II 450 even though I had over 256 MB of ram, the reason for this is several factors like indexing service if you're running file encryption and various other features of NTFS but on newer systems this really shouldn't be an issue.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
More over, NTFS has a great number of features that FAT32 lacks. Because of NTFS's inbuilt allocation system, cluster sizes are smaller.. this means less slack.. which means you lose less disk space to just waste.

Good link for info:

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=63

If you are running a single partition greater then 60G, of course, NTFS becomes basically the only viable choice. More then that, due to the security and stability of NTFS as a method vs. FAT32, it's a better choice from the beginning regardless.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I would recommend that you might also want to check the windows update and see if patches or more updated hardware drivers might be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread