Question for Wega owners concerning Progessive scan.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny wilson, May 12, 2002.

1. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony Wega tv. I was just asking your input on a progessive scan dvd player. Would thier be any advantages in buying one for this set for the 16x9 mode? Or is a regular dvd player fine. Also, I am currently using
    S-video. Would this be any advantages getting component video or is S-video fine. I was just asking due to the size ( 24") of the tv. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Well...progressive would be useless since you don't have a tv that supports 480p.

Componant vs. S-Video is another question entirely. It's more subjective, especially with a small TV...

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Unfortunately this answer is almost impossible for anyone to benefit from because we don't know which DVD players, if any, do it this way.
    A progressive DVD player that constructed the progressive video frames first, then downconverted the 16:9 enhanced programs for 4:3 TV sets, then re-interlaced the video for the S-video output to regular TV sets, will give a better picture on 4:3-only TV sets than a regular (non-progressive) player.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Johnny:

The 24-inch WEGA conforms only to the NTSC specifications. It does not scan fast enough to support progressive scanning. You could purchase a prog-scan player with a view to future compatibility, while, in the meantime, using the machine's interlaced output.

As for component-video interconnects, I always say go with the best. Even though the picture-quality differences will be minuscule at best compared with S-video, it still is better nonetheless.

JB