1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Toshiba TW56X81 Owners regarding progressive DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I have the tw56x81 and I've just purchased a panasonic RP56 dvd player.
    I also have a Sony SAT-HD100 which in variable output mode the video drives the tv's format. ie if the tv is set to standard mode and the channel is 4:3 the tv displays 4:3; if the channel is 16:9 the tv switches to 16:9.
    Can I configure the dvd player to work like the HDTV receiver? If I configure the dvd player to 16:9 video the picture has side bars even with 16:9.
    I've been hearing about issues with the dvd player regarding progressive output and aspect ratio. Something to do with some tv's converting 480p to 16:9 or something. I'm not sure what the problem is. Can someone explain this to me?
    I also have a toshiba sd-1000 portable progressive player. On that player the screen format is set by the disc's aspect ratio. I'm new to progressive dvd players and I'm not sure about how this stuff does / should work.

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

The TV should be in full mode. Go to the Toshiba forum at www.hometheaterspot.com for more info.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Brian, if the tv is to full everything is 16:9 the dvd player fills the 4:3 out.
    I have a sony HDTV receiver that will send 4:3 content that the tv will put the grey sidebars up for, 16:9 content trigger the tv to switch to full screen. The TV does the switching. I also have a Toshiba portable which does a similar thing with the side bars. I was hoping there was a way to get the RP56 to output so the tv could work the same.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Ahh, I see your question...
    The answer is a flat out no. This cannot happen. This is because the DVD player cannot tell the TV what mode to put itself in. This is the case for all DVD players. Sorry.