What's new

Question for those who aren't buying an X-Box ... (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I need a home to store the Xbox in as it is so huge, so I am saving trying to buy one.....
But actually, I make myself wait to get the unit until the one early announced game that I want the most goes on sale and with GameCube that was RS2, with Xbox that just happens to be JSRF which comes out Feb. 12th 2002.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on November 12, 2001 at 07:12 AM]

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'm choosing Gamecube over X-Box for several reasons.
  • Like Frederick above, I really don't have much to spend right now on a new system. The Gamecube is closer to my price range.
  • I love Wave Race!
  • In all honesty while not trying to system bash, I don't like the X-Box controller very much at all, and the Gamecube controller is probably the most comfortable I've ever used. I'm excited about how the somewhat different control scheme on the Gamecube will affect games. The contoller is a key part in a gaming system (no shit), and the X-Box just doesn't do it for me in that respect.
  • Even after the N64, I trust Nintendo. I think they've learned from mistakes of the past and I like how things are looking for them so far.
  • I want to play Pikmin!
  • I agree with Nintendo on focusing on games. I could care less for DVD playback, etc.
  • Resident Evil!
  • I need to check out more of the games on X-Box, but there is not much that interests me.
  • Can't wait to play Mario and Zelda!
I'm sure there are other reasons, but that's all that comes to mind for now.
My main concern right now is 16:9 formatted games. I really hoping that most future games give me this option. I really don't want to have to use Theaterwide 1 all the time.
And as far as my opinion goes, there is another guy who will have just as many positive things to say about the X-Box.
This is great. I love competition. We've got an exciting week coming up. Bring it on!
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Several reasons I'm probably going to buy a GCN and not an XBox:
1. Don't like XBox controller. after several trips to the XBox kiosk I still don't like how it feels...too big and awkward for me.
2. All Star Baseball 2002 - I loved the N64 incarnations and can't wait for the GCN version
3. Rogue Leader (whatever the exact title of the SW game is) - man, just looking at the movies online make me want to say "Red Five, Standing By."
4. My girlfriend is a sucker for the Nintendo 1st party games like Mario Party and Mario Kart...no doubt those will come on GCN within a year or so.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
quote: I never bothered with Majora's Mask because I didn't have the same feel, I felt as though Majora's Mask was made just for the $$$...
Bert;
Believe me. Majora's Mask is anything but a rehash of Ocarina of Time. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to play this great game.
I loved Ocarian of Time and I am currently working through Majora's Mask right now. So far, it hasn't been all that exciting. I don't like the idea of having the 3 day cycles. I feel like every time I make progress at the end of 3 days, I have to start over again. I know that the overall progress of the game carries over the time shift but I just don't like the idea.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played an XB and GCN at a Wal-Mart, so I was able to compare them directly.
The XB controller isn't horrible, but it does suck. The GCN controller is awkward, but it just takes a second or two to get used to. The fact that you press L with your pointer finger and R with your middle finger was weird, but I also used it for a few minutes.
The GCN game (Luigi's Mansion) looked better than the XB Demo Disc. The videos on the XB thing sucked, and Munch was obviously not the right game to show.
The GCN was a LOT smaller than the XB.
Overall, based on first impressions, I would much rather go with the GCN, even though I was going to anyway.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
The GCN controller is awkward, but it just takes a second or two to get used to. The fact that you press L with your pointer finger and R with your middle finger was weird, but I also used it for a few minutes.
I don't think the controller was designed for you to use your middle finger for the R button. That does sound uncomfortable. I just use my index finger for R and nothing on Z. The Z trigger probably won't be used much anyway, so keep that button un-manned and you'll have a better time with the contoller.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I'm not buying an Xbox is simply because it offers nothing to me. I love Nintendo's games, so I have to buy a Gamecube. The PS2 has all the other games I want to play. Xbox, so far, has Halo. Big whoop. In the FPS department, I'd much rather play James Bond: Agent Under Fire for PS2. GT3 is better than Project Gotham, Rogue Leader is better than Star Wars: Starfighter Special Edition, and Tony Hawk 3 is better than the Tony Hawk 2X rehash.
Besides games, the controller is absolute shite, and the hard drive and broadband ethernet port add absolutely nothing to the gameplay experience, at least not now. Honestly, I'd be surprised if either was used to a great extent by developers for a long time. And even if they were, what would the result be? The same thing that's been available to PC gamers for years. Yawn.
------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed

Peter_A

Second Unit
My reason is that I already have a PS2 that I got on launch day last year. Honestly, I could have waited until June of this year before there was a game that I absolutley had to pay. In hind site I should have sold my PS2 a couple days after launch.
It's the same this year for the XBox and GC. None have any games I really wanna play at the moment, so I'll hold off until something catches my eye.
Bring on MGS2!!!!

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Morgan;
Cameron's correct. You should use your index finger to push the R button. Nintendo has even stated that they envisioned the Z button to act more like an old-fashioned "Select" button than an often-used action button. In the games I own so far (Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, and Rogue Leader) this certainly seems to be the case. The Z button, more often than not, is simply ignored during normal game play.
------------------
-J.Fo
"He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I guess I was using it wrong. With that in mind, the controller is better than I thought.
The GCN controller is still better than the XB.

Amen for Super Smash Bros. Melee - anybody else with a good audio system is in for a treat when they hear the same orchestrated themes I heard at E3. If not for the blasting rich goodness of Rogue Leader, SSB:M would have had the best audio at the show.
And as for the Saturn...well, launching months ahead of schedule, by surprise, with 45,000 units is a BAD way to do things.
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks