Question for those of you who get your HD from CABLE.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

If your local stations have gone digital and provide some HD content, dose your cable Co. carry the HD feed from those stations or do you have to resort to OTA? What HD channels do you get from your cable Co?

2. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

Luke,
    It is my understanding that you will need an HDTV cable box to receive the HDTV signal, assuming your TV is HDTV ready. At this time, I am on the wait list for Time Warner, and I heard that it could take months for me to get the box[​IMG]
    There is a website that shows all the television stations in the US and who has the HD signals and what channel they are broadcast on. For example, our local NBC affiliate is channel 12, but their HD signal is broadcast over channel 52. Check it out. I wish I could remember the name of the site. Anyone?

3. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I'm located in Albany, NY and I receive HD from TWC. The only channnels I receive in HD are HBO & Showtime.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Hank, "HBO & Showtime" thats what I figured, just wondering if any cable provider was providing local chan HD feeds yet.

Thanks

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

TWC in NYC used to carry all the local HD stations prior to 9/11. After the destruction of most of the transmitters, they now carry CBS-HD which is the only one left. Whenever the digital stations get back up on the air, I expect TWC to carry them again.

6. Nick_P

Nick_P Auditioning

Comcast in the Philly area offers the following:
    Which HDTV Channels does Comcast have?
    4 Channels Now Available!
    Comcast is among one of the first cable operators in the nation to launch HDTV.
    We currently offer 4 channels including 2 HDTV local channels:
    ABC-Channel 180
    NBC-Channel 181
    We also offer 2 HDTV Premium movie channels:
    HBO East-Channel 300
    Showtime East-Channel 339
    You must subscribe to HBO and/or Showtime to receive their HDTV feeds.
    Comcast HDTV
    ABC and NBC from Philly of course.
    Nick

7. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

TWC in Raleigh NC
    Local in HD
    Fox
    CBS
    ShowtimeHD
    HBO-HD
    PBS-HD
    Local ABC and NBC are upconverted 480 -> 1080i.
    All through the converter.
    I got my converter over a year ago.
    Just one of the luck ones [​IMG]

8. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

In Houston I get the following from TWC:

CBS - 1080i

ABC - 720p

PBS - 1080i

NBC - 1080i

FOX - 480P

HBO E&W - 1080i

SHO E&W - 1080i

Their implementation consists of a digital cable box that outputs a digital HD signal to a separate HD decoder box. The HD box then connects to my projector and receiver. It can output in native, 1080i, 720p or 480p and it uses RGB or YPbPr (selectable) outputs. It also has a digital coax output for Dolby Digital. Seems to work very well and the best part is it is only $5/month more than standard digital cable and they provide all of the equipment.

Bob

9. davepr

davepr Stunt Coordinator

Bob, my TWC hook up uses a Sientific Atlanta 2000HD box. Though the component outputs all signals are generated at 1080i with black bars for all 4:3 programming. Therefore my Hitachi 43uwx10b does not let me utilize stretch modes off this signal. For 4:3 material I must revert to composit, rf or svhs connections...

What box does TWC supply you?

Dave

10. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

Dave,
    My boxes are general instrument which is now motorola. Here's what they are specifically:
    http://gicout50.gic.gi.com/GIHomepa.nsf/?Open
    http://gicout50.gic.gi.com/GIHomepa.nsf/?Open
    The HD decoder has a switch on it that can select 4 different output modes. These are as follows:
    Native: Decoder passes along what ever format it is (480p, 720p or 1080i). This is the mode I use.
    480p: all signals converted to 480p
    720p: all signals converted to 720p
    1080i: all signals converted to 1080i
    It is only on 480p material that I can adjust the zoom to fill the screen with 4:3 material. With 720p and 1080i material I get the dreaded black bars (on 4:3 material).
    Bob

11. davepr

davepr Stunt Coordinator

Bob, thanks for the reply.. I am a little surprised that TWC is buying from more than one source...

Dave

12. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Auditioning

I get in Toronto, Canada:

CBS - 1080i

ABC - 720p converted to 1080i

PBS - 1080i

NBC - 1080i

FOX - 480P converted to 1080i

plus a demo channel and a HDNHL channel.

My cable company is Rogers and the digital box is about $6.60 US extra over the cost of the regular digital box and includes the above channels as part of the price.

The signal only comes out as 1080i, so I assume Rogers must take the various outputs and if necessary converts them to 1080i. My TV only accepts 480i, 480p, and 1080i so that is fine with me.

Chris Bennett

13. Peter Donovan

Bob,

Does the cable company provide everything except the HDTV? In other words, do you not need the "over the air" decoder box? If that's the case, it may be worth holding out for AT&T Broadband in the Twin Cities to launch their's (who knows how long that will be).

-Pete