Question for those in healthcare: Where should I go next with my education?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Devin U, May 20, 2003.

1. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

Hi, Ive com to a crossroads in life, and figured, since I dont know what to do, ask people who have done it before. I guess a little background is in order. When I came out of high school, I knew going into college I wanted to pursue a career in health care. I started off as a pre-med major, but following a rough freshman year in school, I took some time (about 3 yrs) and did some voulenteer work abrod for most of it. I came back, resuming pre-med studies, but due to a death in the family, i had problems in school and just about quit school altogether. I was privleged to have a great prof. who had worked for many years as a PA before going into education. He showed me there was much more to healthcare than medicine. So I went to Respiratory Therapy school. I did excelent, and have been practicing for 2 years now. Here in AZ, Respiratory is a stagnent field. Pay is getting better, and there are more than plenty of jobs, but proffesionaly, im not satisfied. Im a person that wants to be continualy learning and practicing new things. Here, my job is at times a mindless routien, and RT's get little respect for what they do here. Im allways the first to be called when things go bad, and the lack of proffesional respect makes me want to get out of Respiratory. Ive been working in a cardiovascular ICU for about a year, and really enjoy it. It has also allowed me to work with some of the bightest and smartest nurses in the nation, IMHO. They are really wanting me to go to nursing school. Money's great, I live by the school, and I only have like one or two classes of pre recs left. I have also looked at other proffesional programs, namely Physician's Assistant and Pharmacy, and have recently been looking at dentistry since a school has opened near me, and Ive still got medicine in the back of my mind, as Ive looked at some various MD & DO programs here in the states and abroad. What I want to know is, for those who work in these proffesions, how did you get into it? What do you like and dislike? How do you think your proffesion is growing and where is it going in the future? How was your educational experience. Im not really interested in money (yeah, Im sure everyone's heard that before), but more about how your job makes you feel. I really enjoy healthcare, the satisfaction it gives me to help my fellow man, and want to do it to the best of my ability.

2. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I don't work in healthcare, however, you mentioned in your post that you are considering dentistry. There was a previous thread a few weeks ago started by an individual who will be starting his career towards a dental degree this fall. A few current dentists also replied in that thread, and it might shed some light on the "dentistry aspect" of your concerns.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'm an M.D., and I'll answer the specific questions from the end of your post...

"What I want to know is, for those who work in these professions, how did you get into it?"

I have several M.D.'s in the family which, if anything, made me want to do anything but medicine if only to be different. However, during college, I had an amazing summer internship experience which really shifted my perspective on a career in medicine. That was the turning point, and it didn't occur until just prior to my junior year of college. Fortunately, I was already on-track in terms of pre-med requirements and such.

"What do you like and dislike?"

I have significant autonomy in my work. I am always learning. I see interesting things every single day, and no 2 days are ever the same. I have no specific routine and am always prepared for the unexpected. I love my colleagues and I love being affiliated with an academic center. I love being a "professor." I love my patients and I enjoy taking care of them. The feeling of saving someone's life, or making a significant impact upon it, is tremendous. Finally, I make a very, very good living.

There is very little I dislike. I'm frustrated by paperwork, red-tape and such. I have long days and, very rarely, long nights. I hate not being able to help a patient.

"How do you think your profession is growing and where is it going in the future?"

There will always be a need for skilled physicians in the U.S. When I was in med school, there were more applicants than spots in school, and competition was fierce. My sense is, today, things are a bit different. I know that there are far more residency spots in the U.S. than there are U.S. medical graduates to fill them, so there continues to be a growing need.

"How was your educational experience?"

My years in med school and in post-graduate training were some of the best years of my life; I made friends that will last a lifetime and I cannot easily quantify the tremendous amount of things I learned.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about medicine.

4. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I am an anesthesiologist (a cardiac anesthesiologist, but I don't do cardiac exclusively). I enjoy my work. It is not without its share of BS, like any other field, but I wouldn't trade it. (Well, maybe to be the employment screener at Hooters!)

As Angelo said, we as physicians have a great deal of autonomy in our profession, and anesthesia is no exception.

I got in through the "standard" way...I went straight through college to medical school. I really don't remember what first got me interested in medicine. I did, however, take the long way around to anesthesia...I spent three years in surgery training before realizing that it wasn't right for me. It was the best decision I ever made.

I would also be willing to answer any specific questions you might have.

Tony

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I'm not in the medical field, more along the lines of sales. You may want to consider pharmaceutical sales. You will always be learning and helping physicans help their patients. The income is nice and the hours better (no late night shifts there!). Best of all, you never have to put your hand anyewhere you'd prefer not. [​IMG]

The training is brief and you'd have a fair advantage with your experience. You also get a fair budget for schmoozing phycians - which means you golf and eat on the company ticket!

Hats off to the physicians here. Many friend in that field who I have tremendous respect for. It is a life of certain sacrifice and persistience. I feel the money they earn is adequate at least, and should be even more though many disagree (especially lawyers) Sure, there are a few bad apples, but less so in that industry than any other I'd venture. The rest are near saints.

Thanks PhD's

6. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I'm surely not a saint, or even close to it, so maybe that makes me one of the bad apples!

7. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

You might consider going back to school for basic spelling, I counted close to 30 mistakes.

8. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

Tim, It's people like you who make me think twice about asking a serious question. Maybe you should go back to manners school. If you have such a problem with my spelling, , dont post and go trash on someone else's thread.

To everyone else, thanks for the intelegent, informed comments.

9. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter