Question for the SVS folk....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Whip, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

Tom and Ron,

Here I am, a simple working guy, slowly saving up my money to take the small step up from my tv speakers to a 5.1 system. I start my research, figure the SVS sub is an easy choice and move on to the other speakers. Not such an easy choice. So I visit forums every day, save up some money, go audition speakers on the weekends, save some more money, and visit the forums again. I get my choices narrowed down to 2 or 3 systems, then I happen along Ron's interview where he hinted that SVS is looking into full range speakers.[​IMG] Thanks for the curve ball.[​IMG]

Now, I like to consider myself a gamblin man. I'd be willing to gamble that if and when these do come out, and if my savings account is being kind to me, I'd be purt near first in line for these.

Ok, enough of the long setup. My question is this. What are the chances that 'looking into them' is really a metaphor for 'They're in the works'? I'm a really patient guy, so I'm willing to wait. But I'm also a fat guy that likes to veg out on the couch, so this is really an upgrade to 80% of my home life. Any better hints? Thanks much.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Dan,

For various reasons,including NDAs...we really won't be able to talk about this for another 6-8 weeks. I can say that I wouldn't expect anything in that regard to be in production from SVS within the next 6 months.

Tom V.
    SVS

3. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

hey you heard it right from the horse's mouth.. oops sorry Ron, that didn't mean you're the horse's ass [​IMG]

4. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not buying anything for a couple months anyway, so I guess I'll wait and see. Now I just have to convince myself that Toshiba rocks.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

IF you did go into more than *just* subwoofers would SVS ("Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofers" or "SV Subwoofers") still be SVS or would you look at a name change? [​IMG]

Best of luck on whatever new ventures SVS undertakes!

Matthew

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

"SV Speakers." Subs are speakers too. [​IMG]

7. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Simpler than I thought. [​IMG]

Matthew

8. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

SV Stuff

Then they could sell anything [​IMG]

9. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Tom and Ron,

Will your speakers be for everyone? Or just for a certain group of people, because people do prefer different types of speaker, just wondering what the greatest subwoofer company is thinking......... (I know you can't comment, but give us something..... anything atleast!!!)

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

You can be assured of this:

1. It'll be the most tested and measured/listened to speaker in modern history. We'll seek out reviewers that know how to actually measure and not just wax poetic about "forward, fluid, fast etc." We're all for superlatives but they have to be based in measures of effectiveness or we're not interested.

2. It'll have a level of content that any OEM would envy (selling direct allows a manufacturer much more flexibility in that area).

3. It'll leverage every North American supplier we can find, understanding the price has got to be affordable. (Just read today of another 132,000 jobs lost in the USA in January, I guess one or two of those affected might understand why we're so big on supporting small business in the US).

4. It'll probably not be what you would call a conventional design.

5. "It'll" probably be "they'll". We never do just "one" thing. ;^)

6. Like with our subs, other OEMs will be reluctant, if not downright paranoid about getting in the ring with our offerings. (See 1-5 above.)

7. It's going to take lots of time still, the R/D shop still has subwoofers running thru its collective veins.

Ron

11. JesseO

JesseO Auditioning

Question for Ron or Tom,
    Where the heck are you guys located, could not find a addrees on your web site, Ron's profile states CO and the phone is a New York number, I just ordered one of your subs, and if I had checked earlier I would hesitate at buying your product. You should put a address on your site.

Jesse

12. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Jesse, you must have missed their "About us link"
    About SVS

13. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Dan.

IMHO those that keep on waiting for the newest and the latest spend too much time waiting.

When you get your dough together I would go ahead and buy whatever you have chosen at that time. Remember you can always upgrade in the future and having something decent to start with will give you something to compare to.

Why deprive yourself of the pleasure?

14. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

I didn't say I'd wait forever. I just didn't want to save up money for the next 6 months, buy something, and see a SVS system come out 2 months later. But now my wife and I are talking about building a new house. I would have a dedicated theater room, so the speakers I am looking at now might not have enough oomph to fill a larger room.

I've gone 30 years listening to just tv speakers, but last night I got an old pair of Polk bookshelves and hooked them up. It's a huge improvement, so this will hold me over until I can get exactly what I want. But if my funds and housing situation is taken care of and still no concrete word on the new SVS, I would go ahead and go with another choice.

15. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

I'll be waiting to upgrade my current system to the new SVS speakers. [​IMG]

16. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

AWESOME!!!!

You know with those job drops, price is also is a big factor....

But anyhow, We will all be waiting diligently. It sounds like awesome news!

17. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Tom & Ron:

Great news all around, a $1500 BP2 sub (Ultra equivalent) AND a line of speakers. I will most definitely consider BOTH. I may be getting ahead of myself, but please offer piano black as a finish option for both.

As a friendly suggestion on the speaker front, maybe you guys can whip up a bipolar with powered sub version tower model. We all know a certain someone that is very fond of that configuration.

[​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Rich B.

18. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Richard,

I can't imagine what you are speaking of ;^)

To others I should hasten to add too that R/D is still in concept here. In fact our board of directors (yes, we have one) hasn't even given this project the "Go" yet (ergo Tom's "no comment"). Us marketing types always prefer to jump the gun 8^)

Still, it's very nice to know there's interest in full range speakers from SVS. I think you know we'd take the same obsessive approach to their performance and value as we've done with subs. Even if R/D gets the nod to go beyond initial proof of concept models it'll still be a long while before things are "market ready". There are so many great brands of mains out there that no one should wait on us to enjoy what even a modest set of speakers can bring to your home theater.

Ron

19. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

So how long do you think this whole process would talk Ron, I would be buying my speakers for a good year....

And well, all I gotta say is, if the SVS speakers are half as good as those subs, speaker companies better take note.